Blue Square South
Tuesday 20 April - The Dripping Pan - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-1 attendance: 613

team: Robinson, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Holland (Coupe 45), Harris, Simpson, Badman, Edwards, Mohamed (Bartlett 90), Connolly. subs not used: Douglas, Evans, Mackie.
man of the match: Ryan Robinson/Kaid Mohamed
scorers: Edwards (10), Jones (60)
bookings: Harris (57), Connolly (81)
officials: S Daley (Middlsex)

league position: 4th form: LWWWWW next match: St Albans City (H)

Report taken from

Bath City have one foot in the Blue Square South play-offs after recording a priceless victory - their fifth on the trot - at Lewes this evening. Darren Edwards' early goal and a a second-half header from Gethin Jones lifted City up to fourth place in the table with a game of the regular season to go. Staines Town's 2-1 defeat at Maidenhead tonight means that, realistically, Adie Britton's men only need a point at home to mid-table St Albans City on Saturday in order to secure a play-off berth. They are two points clear of sixth-placed Woking, who are also facing a goal difference deficit of 11, and three ahead of Havant & Waterlooville in seventh spot. City could even secure home advantage in the second leg of the play-off semi-finals as they only train third-placed Dover Athletic by three points and boast a better goal difference. But they were made to battle for tonight's crucial win after Edwards and Jones put them in the driving seat. Keeper Ryan Robinson saved a Ross Sutton penalty before ex-TeamBath defender Sami El-Abd pulled one back eight minutes from time to set up a nerve-jangling finale for the visiting fans.

It was the second time City had made the long midweek trek to the South Coast after the first fixture was abandoned back at the start of March following torrential rain and with the visitors leading by a single goal. But they reclaimed that advantage in the 11th minute when Sekani Simpson raced into the area, bustling his way past two defenders before flicking the ball to his right for Edwards, whose lazy lob went beyond keeper Rikki Banks and into the bottom right corner of the net. City had further chances, with Adam Connolly twice shooting wide, but their best opportunity came just before the half hour. Connolly played the ball to Kaid Mohamed, who ran from just beyond the halfway line before unleashing a powerful shot from 20 yards which Banks did well to turn around his post.

City started the second half brightly, with Mohamed again forcing a classy save from Banks with another 20-yard screamer. However, what looked to be the clinching moment of the game came on 61 minutes. City won a corner on the right and Connolly’s kick found the head of Jones, who stole a march on El-Abd to carefully head the ball low into the net. At that point it looked game over. However, this was not the Lewes of a month ago and with four wins out of the previous six games behind them the strugglers poured forwards at pace and in numbers. On seventy minutes City conceded a penalty when Jean-Michel Sigere was fouled by substitute Matt Coupe, on for hamstring injury victim Chris Holland. The spot kick was powerfully hit by Sutton but Robinson was his equal to it with a fine diving save to his right. Lewes however, got their reward with eight minutes to go. This time a cross deep into the City area saw Robinson get entangled with his defence and El-Abd managed to scramble the ball home from no more than a yard. By now it was backs-to-the wall stuff and City only managed to hang on through Sutton compounding his miserable evening by putting a shot wide of the target and then, deep into time added on, Jones once again turning hero by heading the ball off the line.