Blue Square South Play-Offs Semi-Final 2nd Leg
Saturday 1 May 2010 - Chelmsford Athletic Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 1650

team: Robinson, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Holland, Connolly, Simpson (Coupe 90), Harris, Edwards, Mohamed (Mackie 88), Hogg (Browning 83). subs not used: Evans, Bartlett.
man of the match: Adie Harris
scorers: Mohamed (54)
bookings: none
officials: L Collins, E Moore, M Gospel

league position: n/a form: WWWdWW next match: Woking (H)

Report taken from

Bath City are 90 minutes away from a place in Blue Square Premier after Kaid Mohamed’s goal gave them victory in this afternoon’s play-off semi-final second leg at Melbourne Park. Mohamed, whose penalty broke the deadlock in Tuesday’s first-leg clash at Twerton Park, pounced early in the second period to send City into next week’s final and their big travelling army of fans into raptures. The former Forest Green striker’s goal knocked the wind out of Chelmsford’s sails after the hosts, faced with a 2-0 first-leg deficit, dominated a scoreless opening 45 minutes. Woking will be City's opponents in the final, which will be held at Twerton Park on a date yet to be arranged between the clubs. City boss Adie Britton made two changes to his starting line-up for the second leg showdown. Chris Holland recovered from an infected knee and partnered Gethin Jones at the heart of the defence, with Matt Coupe dropping to the bench. In midfield, Mark Badman’s suspension saw Adie Harris return to the starting XI after completing his own three-match ban. Captain Jim Rollo lined up in the holding midfield role, with Sekani Simpson moving to right back. The hosts made one enforced change to the side beaten at Twerton Park, with Ben Nunn coming in for Ricky Modeste, who was red-carded along with Badman in midweek.

City were on the back foot from the start and had an early scare when Harris fouled Warren McBean on the edge of the box in the fourth minute and Ryan Robinson let Matt Lock’s centre through slip through his hands for the game’s first corner. Marlon Patterson took it from the right and home skipper Dave Rainford headed powerfully over from eight yards. Sido Jombati was forced to thump a dangerous Ricky Holmes cross behind before he clattered into McBean on the edge of the box, with Lock seeing his curling free-kick clip the wall and go behind for a corner. Rainford could do no better with a free-kick from an almost identical position on 23 minutes after McBean was again impeded, this time by Holland. City finally had a sight of goal two minutes later when Lewis Hogg burst into the box, but he lost control at the vital moment and Steve Ward was able to mop up the danger. Dangerman McBean was at the heart of the action as Chelmsford began to turn the screw just after the half hour. First, the former Sutton striker put a far-post header from another left-wing Lock corner into the side-netting and was then denied by Robinson’s feet as he advanced on goal. In between, Anthony Cook forced the City stopper’s first real save of the afternoon when Robinson beat away the midfielder’s fierce angled drive. Robinson then easily held another McBean header from Nunn’s excellent right-wing centre. But City had some respite as the half drew to a close and Hogg put a free-kick over the top from a tight angle on the left after he was brought down by Nunn.

They won their first corner six minutes after the break when Robinson’s punt skimmed off the head of Martin and out of keeper Ashley Harrison’s reach. It was from their second, shortly afterwards, that they scored the goal that killed off the tie. Adam Connolly took it from the left and, after Harrison clawed Darren Edwards’ header against the bar, Mohamed forced the rebound home. Chelmsford immediately threw on target man Robert Edmans in a bid to keep their promotion bid alive but looked a beaten side from that moment on. Hogg nearly made it 2-0 when he drove a shot inches wide from 25 yards after Gethin Jones made a rampaging run from the back. Rainford planted a far-post header wide from Cook’s cross with 20 minutes left but by now City were well in control. And their task was made even easier in the 84th minute when Harrison brought down Edwards after being rounded by the City striker and was promptly red-carded. Cook took over between the posts and drew cheers from a deflated home crowd when he kept out the resulting free-kick from Harris. McBean and substitute Simon Thomas threatened in the closing stages but City held on to their clean sheet and Edwards squandered a golden chance to make the final scoreline even more emphatic, shooting into the side-netting after being picked out all alone in the box by Connolly’s pass. But it did not matter and players and management made sure they enjoyed the moment with the delirious travelling hoardes when the final whistle blew.