Pre-Season Friendly
Thursday 8 July 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-2 attendance: tbc

team: Robinson (Burton 45), Simpson (Kite 79), Rollo (Ruddick 45), Coupe (Webb 45), Jones (Rieck 88), Harris, Canham, Badman (Klukowski 45), Reid (Bryant 83), Mohamed (Lacey 67), Mackie. subs not used: White.
man of the match: Gethin Jones
scorers: none
bookings: none
officials: R Corp, J Bishop, N Day

league position: n/a form: -----L next match: Bristol Rovers (H)

Report taken from

Bath City boss Adie Britton admitted that the gulf in class was evident at times during his side's friendly defeat to Cardiff City but said he was pleased with his side's efforts. City opened their pre-season campaign with a 2-0 defeat at home to the Championship visitors thanks to goals early in each half from Jay Bothroyd and Chris Burke. Britton said that the experience of playing for long periods without much possession will stand his side in good stead and added that he would expect his team to create more chances against lesser opposition. "It was a great run out for us," he said. "Obviously in terms of quality there's such a massive gap and that showed up when they played with a bit of intensity in the first half but as the game went on we had a little bit more of it. We set our goals before the game and said 'let's try to keep a good shape'. There's going to be a lot of times this season when we play good sides, especially away from home, when they're going to keep the ball a lot. So we set ourselves up 4-5-1 to get behind the ball and make sure we stayed compact and tight. If we can do that, against slightly lesser sides we would have a few opportunities on the break and from set plays. We got what we could out of it as a game and we know that things are going to be more intense this season and we're going to have to play with greater intensity."

Cardiff showed their attacking threat inside the opening two minutes when Ross McCormack's low cross was met by Michael Chopra, but Ryan Robinson saved with his feet. Two minutes later, however, the visitors were ahead when Bothroyd headed home from a Kevin McNaughton cross. Several more Cardiff chances followed, with Bothroyd dallying when he was clean through and Chopra having a penalty appeal turned down. Meanwhile, City's first effort was an optimistic long-range shot from Kaid Mohamed which was easily blocked. Chopra forced Robinson into a brilliant diving save after 14 minutes as the visitors continued their lively start, while McNaughton shot against the post moments later. However, the hosts began to find their feet and made life more dificult for Cardiff for the second quarter of the match. An adventurous run from Gethin Jones set up a chance for Hector Mackie but his effort just missed the target in City's best moment of the half. Cardiff finished the half strongly and Bothroyd had the ball in the net again, only for it to be disallowed for a foul.

Both sides made several changes at the break, with Cardiff changing all but two players and City bringing four men off the bench. It only took the visitors just over two minutes to double their lead, Bryan Hughes' long pass allowing Burke to fire home. Despite again conceding an early goal, City looked improved after the break and a mazy run from Mohamed lifted the home crowd in the 58th minute, although he eventually shot wide under pressure. Cardiff still seemed more likely to score, with Burke firing across goal and the hosts surviving a chaotic goalmouth scramble, while Jonathan Meades forced substitute keeper Terry Burton into a good stop. However, chances were hard to come by and City boss Adie Britton took the opportunity to bring on a number of trialists as the match petered out over the closing stages.