Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 17 August 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-1 result: W2-1 attendance: 876

team: Robinson, Simpson, Jombati, Jones, Webb, Canham, Harris, Connolly, Hogg (c), Edwards (Reid 69), Phillips (Rollo 88). subs not used: mackie, Coupe, Hart.
man of the match: Sido Jombati
scorers: Connolly (46), Edwrads (58)
bookings: Connolly (38)
officials: C Berry (Cheam), S Phipps (Abingdon), K Howick (Abingdon)

league position: 12th form: ----LW next match: York City (H)

Report taken from

Bath City produced a spirited second-half fightback to claim their victory in the Blue Square Bet Premier for 13 years. Trailing to Max Porter's early tap-in at the break, City made a perfect start to the second period when Adam Connolly found the back of the net within a minute of the restart. And they completed the turnaround 12 minutes later when Darren Edwards, last season's leading goalscorer, headed home from Lewis Hogg's superb free-kick. Kaid Mohamed was the surprise absentee from the matchday squad for City's first Conference Premier game at Twerton Park since 1997. Darren Edwards instead came in to partner Lee Phillips in attack as manager Adie Britton reverted to a 4-4-2 formation. Sido Jombati had recovered sufficiently from a knee ligament strain to replace the injured Lude Ruddick at left-back but Scott Murray was absent with a bruised ankle sustained at Hayes. The game was preceded by a minute's silence in memory of Frank Entwistle, City's former club president, who passed away in June aged 95.

City were looking for a good start to the game following the weekend's setback but instead they found themselves behind as early as the sixth minute. It was a poor goal to concede as well. Michael Corcoran's throw picked out Rene Howe, who was allowed to advance to the byline before rolling the ball across the six-yard box for England non-league international Porter to tap home. Edwards attempted to win the home side a penalty moments later when he went down in the box after being nudged by Jamie Stuart. The Rushden captain was clearly unimpressed with the City striker's theatrics and both had to be told to calm down by referee Carl Berry. City's first real chance arrived in the 15th minute when, following a fine passing move, Gethin Jones' low cross was diverted towards his own goal by visiting midfielder Alan Power but keeper Dale Roberts saved low to his right. Another good period of possession ended with Adie Harris blazing a shot over the bar from 20 yards but, apart from a couple of unconvincing moments at the back, City were beginning to look more comfortable. There was a lengthy stoppage midway through the first half while Danny Webb received treatment after being caught by the fist of Ryan Robinson as the home keeper unconvincingly came for a deep free-kick and missed, hitting his team-mate instead. Rushden almost doubled their lead in the 28th minute when Justin Miller's incisive pass sent Lewis Spence racing through. He managed to touch the ball past the advancing Robinson but Sekani Simpson was on hand to prevent it crossing the line. At the other end, Edwards would have been disappointed not to have hit the target after Phillips' intelligent lay-off found him with time and space on the edge of the box. Harris became the first player in the book nine minutes before half-time following a late challenge on goalscorer Porter and Rushden's Howe also had his name taken soon after. City had to endure plenty of late pressure, nodding a couple of decent crosses away from underneath their bar and Howe volleying over the bar when clean through, but they managed to hold out to go into the break just one goal down.

Rushden's failure to convert their pressure into a second goal was to prove costly as City equalised just 34 seconds after half-time. It was a beautiful goal too, Connolly cutting in from the right before lashing home a left-footed shot from 25 yards. And City found themselves ahead 12 minutes later as Lewis Hogg's perfectly flighted free-kick was deftly nodded home by Edwards. The goalscorer found himself performing a defensive role soon after as he blocked a goalbound shot from Power. The stunned visitors made a double change in the 64th minute, replacing Spence and Craig Farrell with Matt Johnson and Ryan Charles, while City debutant Jake Reid came on for Edwards soon after. However, the home side had to survive a couple of scares in quick succession as Dominic Green - on loan from Peterborough - curled a free-kick just wide and Power thumped a rising drive just over the bar. Rushden boss Justin Edinburgh made his final throw of the dice in the 73rd minute when he took off Justin Miller and sent on Kurt Robinson. But while Howe saw another shot go over, the visitors were unable to exert any continuous pressure and City posed a threat on the break. Manager Britton decided to protect the lead in the closing minutes, taking off striker Phillips and sending on club captain Jim Rollo to sit in front of the back four. And he had more time on the pitch than he would have imagined as the fourth official signalled six minutes of injury-time, much to the amazement of the home fans. However, City managed to see them out without any major concerns to register their first win of the season.