Pre-Season Friendly
Wednesday 14 July 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 1067

team: Lewis (Burton 45), Simpson (Rollo 45), Ruddick, Webb (Coupe 45), Jones (Kite 70), Harris, Hogg (c) (Klukowski 77), Jombati (Badman 54), Phillips (Reid 59), Mohamed (Bryant 68), Mackie (Edwards 87). subs not used: White
man of the match: Hector Mackie
scorers: Phillips (1), Klukowski (83)
bookings: none
officials: R Martin, M Veater, B Bishop

league position: n/a form: ----LW next match: Mangotsfield Utd (A)

Report taken from

Lee Phillips made an instant impression as Bath City sank former Twerton Park tenants Bristol Rovers in tonight’s friendly. The former Cambridge United striker, who signed a one-year deal on Monday, netted with his first touch to put his new club ahead with just 43 seconds on the clock. Trialist Yan Klukowski rounded off an excellent night’s work for Adie Britton’s side when he tucked home the second with seven minutes left. Rovers fielded a mixture of established first-teamers and young professionals in both halves but City proved more than a match for the npower League 1 outfit physically and were productive in possession. Hector Mackie, Lewis Hogg and Sido Jombati all gave eye-catching performances and so solid were City as a unit – despite making a raft of second-half changes – that trialist keepers Mike Lewis and Terry Burton barely had the chance to show Britton what they could do.

Rovers, playing their first friendly of the summer before heading off to Scotland on tour, were caught cold inside the opening minute by a ball down the left. Jombati did brilliantly to steal in and cross from the byline for an unmarked Phillips to smash home. Phillips and Kaid Mohamed gave the visiting defence further nervous moments and Mackie curled a shot over the bar following an excellent burst from midfield by Hogg. Rovers slowly began to get a foothold in the game, with midfielder Wayne Brown particularly influential. The Pirates’ new signing from Fulham miscued a shot under pressure from Jombati and City were forced to clear their lines when Charlie Clough headed a Jeff Hughes free-kick back across goal. But the hosts almost took a two-goal lead when the busy Hogg, captaining the side against his former club in the first half, pinched possession in midfield and played in Mohamed, who created space for a shot on the edge of the box before dragging it just wide of Mike Green’s right post. Will Hoskins, making his first appearance in Rovers’ blue and white quarters after his recent switch from Watford, opted to pass when in a decent shooting position at the other end and Charlie Reece blazed a shot over the bar when City failed to properly clear their lines. Luke Ruddick did well to cut out Elliot Richards’ right-wing cross on the half-hour, with Hoskins again waiting to pounce, but then earned himself a ticking-off from referee Mr Martin for an aggressive reaction to a challenge by the same player.

Burton, skipper Jim Rollo and Matt Coupe all entered the fray for City at the interval and the latter’s first act was to slide in and deny Rovers substitute Chris Lines from Joe Kuffour’s low centre. Lines and Kuffour, two of eight fresh faces for the visitors at the start of the second half, soon combined again to set up a shooting chance for Darryl Duffy, whose effort flew into Burton’s midriff. City’s first clear opportunity of the period saw the alert Mackie test Green from the left of the box after seizing on a moment of hesitancy from George Booth. After trialists Alex Kite, Jake Reid and Mitchell Bryant were introduced by Britton, Lines shot meekly into a grateful Burton’s arms following a neat one-two with Reece. Goalmouth action became scarce as the tempo dropped but the 1,067-strong crowd were treated to a spot of handbags as they sheltered from the rain when Reid and Kuffour squared up to one another. The City striker protested that his shirt was being pulled and it took a couple of players from either side to separate the feuding pair before Mr Martin stepped in. And City wrapped up a deserved win on 83 minutes after great work from Mackie on the left. The winger beat Booth again before crossing for Reid and the big forward laid the ball off for Klukowski, who controlled superbly before producing a cool finish to beat Green.