Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 21 August 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: D2-2 attendance: 1066

team: Robinson, Simpson, Jombati, Jones, Webb, Connolly, Harris, Canham, Hogg (Mackie 90), Edwards (Mohamed 62), Phillips (Rollo 86). subs not used: Coupe, Reid.
man of the match: Adie Harris
scorers: Harris (38), Phillips (66)
bookings: Hogg (71)
officials: M Bull (Chelmsford), I Parsons (Salisbury), A Whittaker (Salisbury)

league position: 9th form: ---LWD next match: Crawley (A)

Report taken from

Bath City were twice unable to hang on to the lead as they were held to a draw by York City this afternoon. The visitors were generally the more threatening team but they fell behind to an Adie Harris howitzer in the first half and a Lee Phillips header after the break. However, Michael Gash pegged them back just before half-time and sub Peter Till secured a deserved point for the visitors with a fantastic finish. Home boss Adie Britton stuck with the same XI which started the 2-1 win over Rushden & Diamonds, while striker Kaid Mohamed was fit enough for a place on the bench after missing out on Tuesday with a hamstring injury.

City had fallen behind early on against Rushden and almost did so again this afternoon when, with three minutes on the clock, Danny Parslow's pass deflected off Danny Webb and into the path of Richard Brodie. Home keeper Ryan Robinson tried to get to the ball first but found himself stranded in no-man's-land and was thankful that the York striker blazed his shot over the bar. The visitors had the ball in the back of the net a minute later but Djoumin Sangare's header from Chris Carruthers' free-kick was ruled out following a push. City had generally been on the back foot but went mighty close to opening the scoring in the 12th minute thanks to some quick thinking from Marc Canham. Carruthers gave away a free-kick on the edge of the box and before York could set themselves, the City midfielder placed the ball and slid it through to Lee Phillips, whose first-time shot cannoned off the outside of the post. The cultured Canham was looking a class act and was only just off the mark with a fine dipping shot from 30 yards. But it was York who were looking the more threatening and when former Bristol Rovers player Carruthers curled in another fine delivery from a set piece, Gash's header was somehow deflected behind for a corner. That was the cue for an intense spell of pressure from the visitors but City's defence - despite looking ragged - somehow managed to survive a barrage of crosses and corners. York were very much in the ascendancy but City could have opened the scoring in the 37th minute when a fine passing move ended with Lewis Hogg sliding the ball through to Adam Connolly, whose close-range shot was well saved by Michael Ingram. However, the visiting keeper was beaten from much further out 60 seconds later as Harris gave City the lead in spectacular style. There appeared to be little danger when he collected the ball 35 yards out but the Welshman unleashed a fierce shot which flew past Ingram and into the net. It was a shock lead but it lasted just five minutes. York's crosses had been causing problems all afternoon and when Carruthers whipped in a right-footed delivery from the left, Gash was on hand to nod home at the near post.

Gash should have given York the lead a minute into the second half but, with just Robinson to beat, was too hesitant after being teed up by Michael Rankine and was dispossessed by a combination of Sekani Simpson and Canham. There was another scare nine minutes later when James Meredith's fine ball over the defence released Brodie but the alert Robinson was quick out of his box to clear the danger, getting a clattering in the process. The keeper was able to carry on but looked like he had conceded a second goal when he was rounded by Brodie just after the hour mark. Amazingly, though, the York striker - who scored 37 times last season - rolled his shot into the side netting with an open goal at his mercy. City had posed little threat in the second half so Britton made an attacking change, sending on Mohamed for the quiet Edwards. And within three minutes, the home side were back in front, albeit with some assistance from visiting keeper Ingram. He came for Connolly's deep cross from the right but completely missed it, allowing Phillips to head the ball into the top corner. It was good reactions from the City striker, who celebrated his first league goal for his new club in some style. If the goal had come out of the blue, then the next major incident was perhaps more predictable - a yellow card for Hogg following a reckless and unnecessary challenge on Parslow. With the visitors suddenly trailing, manager Martin Foyle decided to make a double change in the 74th minute, taking off Neil Barrett and Rankine and sending on Till and Jonathan Smith, the former Forest Green striker who City thought they had signed in the summer before he decided to head to York instead. And it was Till who got the visitors back on level terms with an excellent finish. Ingram's long clearance was flicked on by Gash for the York sub, whose instant half-volley from the edge of the box gave Robinson no chance. The game was now becoming very open and York almost took the lead a couple of minutes later when Simpson's clearance under pressure fell invitingly for Gash, whose shot hit the outside of the post. Home boss Britton was obviously keen to take something from the game and decided to shore up the defence for the last five minutes, taking off goalscorer Phillips and replacing him with club captain Jim Rollo. City found themselves under pressure during the closing stages but they managed to hold on and pick up a useful point, with Gash firing just wide in the dying seconds.