Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 24 August 2010 - The Broadfield Stadium - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-2 result: L1-2 attendance: 1252

team: Borhy, Simpson, Coupe (Canham 45), Jones, Webb, Jombati, Harris (Mackie 72), Connolly, Hogg, Phillips (Edwards 65), Mohamed. subs not used: Rollo, Reid.
man of the match: Sido Jombati
scorers: Webb (75)
bookings: Harris (5)
officials: I Cooper, N Baker, I Fissenden

league position: 15th form: --LWDL next match: Forest Green (A)

Report taken from

Crawley Town may have the money as manager Steve Evans assembles a side worth £350,000, but for sheer guts and determination Bath City again demonstrated tonight that there are few likely to be their equal in the Blue Square Bet Premier this season. City could not have had a worse start to a tough fixture after keeper Ryan Robinson failed a late fitness test, yet was still keen to play. However, with games coming thick and fast boss Adie Britton chose not to risk his number one and instead opted for untried Italian deputy Giancarlo Borhy. He lined up behind a five-man defence that included the recalled Matt Coupe, but City found themselves two goals down at the break after ex-Salisbury man Matt Tubbs opened the scoring and Craig McAllister added the second from the spot. Danny Webb's first goal for City halved the arrears, but proved too little, too late.

Despite a bright opening City were soon pushed back, with Tubbs looking particularly threatening up front for the home side. And he broke the deadlock in the 20th minute after City had been on the attack. A Lewis Hogg free-kick was cleared by the Crawley defence and within seconds Steve Masterton broke down the right. The midfielder then put in a defence-splitting cross and despite Tubbs scuffing his shot, he gave rookie keeper Borhy no chance. From then on Crawley dominated possession and Lee Phillips looked increasing ly isolated up front for the visitors. Crawley's second came four minutes before the interval. With the home side pressing forward, Sekani Simpson brought down ex-Peterborough midfielder Sergio Torres in the penalty area. Another summer signing, former Exeter player McAllister, stepped up to take the spot kick and sent Borhy the wrong way. At that point City looked to be in danger of a hiding and the home side could have gone further ahead on the stroke of half-time when Tubbs had a first-time shot come back off the upright.

Britton's response was to shuffle his pack at half-time, replacing Coupe with midfielder Marc Canham. The move began to pay dividends as gradually City had more time on the ball and opportunities to get players forward. Their first corner was won on the hour mark and with their second, ten minutes later, came City’s goal. After Crawley failed to clear the ball from defence it came out to Connolly, whose deep cross was deftly headed home by Webb. For the first time City began to look in control of the game but in the 15 remaining minutes could not press home their advantage and so went down to their second defeat of the season.