Pre-Season Friendly
Friday 23 July 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W1-0 attendance: n/a

team: Robinson (Burton 45), Simpson, Rollo (c), Coupe, Ruddick (Webb 54), Canham, Murray, Jombati, Reid (Edwards 45), Mackie, Hogg (Badman 45). subs not used: Jones, Harris, Rieck.
man of the match: Scott Murray
scorers: Murray (45)
bookings: none
officials: R Hulme, C Skyrme, J Davies

league position: n/a form: LWDDLW next match: Worcester City (A)

Report taken from

Scott Murray scored his first goal in Bath City colours to earn his new club a friendly victory over Gloucester City at Twerton Park tonight. The veteran midfielder, who signed a one-year deal on Monday, broke the deadlock on the stroke of half-time and might have added a couple more in the second period as he showed flashes of the talent that earned him legend status at Bristol City. Murray, who lasted the full 90 minutes of a physical contest, made his first start alongside the returning Marc Canham in a five-man midfield behind lone striker Jake Reid. Forwards Kaid Mohamed and Lee Phillips were both missing from the hosts, who were wearing their squad numbers for the first time, while City trialist Michell Bryant started up front for Gloucester.

It took 13 minutes for Matt Coupe to produce the evening’s first effort on target, the defender heading straight at Gloucester keeper Ben Lewis from Lewis Hogg’s right-wing free-kick. Murray had a low shot deflected wide after tricking his way into space on the edge of the box and then conjured up a teasing cross from the right that Reid failed to turn in at the far post. Sido Jombati tested Lewis with a flying header as City had the better of the opening half hour and Hector Mackie blazed a shot over an unguarded net after the Gloucester keeper was flattened by Reid when both went up for a high ball. Bryant missed the chance to make his mark with Gloucester’s first chance when he hurredly fired wide of the near post after being let in by Jombati’s poor back pass. Ryan O’Hara then took a heavy touch when through on goal and allowed Ryan Robinson to narrow the angle but it was City who took the lead in the second minute of first-half stoppage time. Sekani Simpson’s pass into the box found Jim Rollo in nosebleed territory on the byline and the skipper did well to cut the ball back for a grateful Murray to tap into an empty net.

Murray threatened again at the start of the second period, racing on to Jombati’s long ball before firing wide of the near post. New signing Luke Ruddick gave the hosts cause for concern when he limped off in the 54th minute to be replaced by Danny Webb but the defender’s injury was later revealed to be a slight hamstring pull. City almost scored a second goal on the hour when Jombati saw his shot ricochet off Ben Prictor and onto the top of the bar. City’s substitute keeper Terry Burton made a hash of dealing with a hopeful effort from O’Hara at the other end, palming the midfielder’s looping 30-yard shot onto the woodwork and behind for a corner. The former Forest Green man redeemed himself moments later, though, blocking a powerful drive from Mike Symons. Murray twice went close to doubling his and City’s tally, first sending a shot skidding inches wide of the far post after breaking into space on the left of the area and then seeing a close-range effort deflected over from Simpson’s right-wing cross.