Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 11 September 2010 - Kingsmeadown Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-2 result: L0-4 attendance: 3300

team: Robinson, J Edwards (Mohamed 76), Jombati (Rollo 41), Jones, Webb, Simpson, Canham, Harris (Mackie 62), Connolly, Phillips, D Edwards. subs not used: Hart, Reid.
man of the match: Darren Edwards
scorers: none
bookings: none
officials: C Knowles (Northants)

league position: 23rd form: DLdLDL next match: Darlington (H)

Report taken from

Bath City's defensive failings reared their head once again as they suffered a heavy defeat to table-topping AFC Wimbledon. City looked relatively comfortable for long periods of the first half but were left to rue a mistake by Sekani Simpson, which led to the Dons' first goal, and - for the fourth time in three games - the inability to defend a set piece. Adie Britton's men launched a spirited fightback in the second period but that was snuffed out when they conceded a third goal from a throw-in, followed by a fourth soon after. The margin of defeat was harsh on City but they have plenty of defensive work to do on the training pitch in the weeks ahead if they are to give themselves a chance of climbing the table. Visiting boss Britton handed a debut to defender Joe Edwards, who joined on a month's loan from Bristol City this week. He started at right-back, with Simpson pushing forward to the right side of midfield. Sido Jombati and Lee Phillips also came back into the starting line-up after injuries, with Jim Rollo, Hector Mackie and Kaid Mohamed dropping to the bench.

Wimbledon tried to impose themselves on the game from the off but, apart from an early Danny Kedwell shot which curled just wide of the far post, City looked untroubled during the opening 19 minutes. However, that hard work was undone - not for the first time this season - by a defensive error. This time it was by Simpson, who had plenty of time to clear a bobbling ball on the edge of the box but dallied and was dispossessed by Kedwell. His goalbound shot hit Danny Webb but fell perfectly for Sammy Moore, who finished with ease. Equally worrying for City was when Jombati slumped to the ground with no-one around him. The Portuguese defender had earlier needed treatment after clashing heads with Lee Minshull and was clearly still feeling the effects. He was able to continue, though, and almost set up an equaliser when his chip forward bounced awkwardly on the edge of the Dons box. It looked like it might drop for Darren Edwards but keeper Seb Brown was eventually able to grab the ball at the second attempt. Instead, the second goal went to the home side in the 35th minute. Gethin Jones nodded a dangerous cross behind for a corner but from the subsequent flag kick, Sam Hatton's delivery was emphatically headed home at the near post by Ismail Yakubu. It was a superbly executed corner but City boss Britton will be disappointed to see his side once again concede from a set piece, having done so in their previous games against Wrexham and Barrow. The visitors attempted to hit back and were unlucky when Simpson's excellent low cross ran straight across the six-yard box without anyone getting a touch. But it was Wimbledon who continued to look the most threatening and Ryan Robinson had to make a fine save to deny Moore before former Bristol City full-back Andre Blackman curled a right-foot shot just wide. To add to City's woes, Jombati was unable to carry on and had to be replaced by club captain Jim Rollo.

But to their credit City started the second half brightly and quickly won their first corner of the game before recording their first effort on target when Marc Canham's cross from deep was headed goalwards by Darren Edwards but was comfortably held by Brown. Adam Connolly's whipped cross from the left was also diverted into his own side-netting by Dons defender Blackman as City enjoyed their best spell of the game. Sensing the chance to get back into the game, Britton made an attacking change as he sent on Mackie for holding midfielder Adie Harris but the winger had barely arrived on the pitch when City should have been 3-0 down. Christian Jolley embarked on a strong run down the left and beat Joe Edwards before rolling the ball back for Minshull, who blazed his shot well over the bar. Phillips was significantly closer at the other end a couple of minutes later, his 20-yard drive dipping just over after excellent hold-up play by Darren Edwards. But any thoughts of a comeback were snuffed out 60 seconds later when Wimbledon grabbed a killer third goal. Again it was a frustrating goal to concede - Ryan Jackson's throw was flicked on by Kedwell for Jolley to slot home at the back post. It was tough on City, who were dealt another blow three minutes later when Jackson's shot, which was going well wide, took a deflection and ran for Kedwell to net Wimbledon's fourth. Only a fantastic diving save from Robinson prevented substitute Jon Main from making it 5-0 as City's revival unsurprisingly ran out of steam. Britton kept pushing for a consolation, though, taking off the tiring Joe Edwards and bringing on Mohamed as part of a three-man attack. But it was not to be as City suffered their heaviest defeat of the season, extending their winless run to six games.