Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 25 September - Highbury Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L1-2 attendance: 1481

team: Robinson, J Edwards, Webb, Rollo (c), Jombati, Canham, Harris (Watkins 63), Connolly (Hart 72), Simpson (D Edwards 69), Mohamed, Phillips. subs not used: Mackie, Borhy.
man of the match: Joe Edwards
scorers: Mohamed (pen 87)
bookings: Phillips
officials: P Graham, J Mainwaring, P Mahon

league position: 22nd form: LDLDDL next match: Kidderminster (H)

Report taken from

Bath City were unfortunate to come away from their long trip to the Fylde coast empty handed. Adie Britton’s side played some nice football for long periods but were punished for the two or three errors they made and had only Kaid Mohamed’s late penalty to show for their efforts. The result took City’s winless run to nine matches and leaves them back in the bottom four. Britton said afterwards: “Yet again we conceded a sloppy goal in that 20 to 30-minute period and from then on it was uphill. They got something out of nothing when we were pressing. Finally, we managed to pull one back but it was just not enough”.

Fleetwood started the game looking as if they didn’t want to hang about. With only three minutes gone, Nathan Pond had a shot which produced a good save from Ryan Robinson. Just two minutes later Robinson was again called into action. This time Wayne Curtis got the better of Danny Webb down the left, but the Fleetwood forward pushed the ball slightly too far in front of him and Robinson, quickly off his line, smothered the ball. However, City rapidly got back into the game and on the quarter-hour mark Sido Jombati did well down the left, jinking his way past Magno Vieira and then Shaun Beeley before putting in a shot that went just wide of keeper Scott Davies’ goal. Just a few minutes later, Mohamed and Lee Philips combined for the latter to put a shot wide. However, disaster struck for City on the half-hour. The ball was played over the top for Vieira to run on to. The defence hesitated, with Jombati out of position. Robinson failed to come off his line quickly enough and the Brazilian forward was able to go past the keeper to open the scoring for the home side.

City might have gone a goal down but it did little to knock their confidence as, early in the second half, it was the away side who nearly struck first, with Adam Connolly’s long-range shot forcing a diving save out of keeper Davies. With City pressing forward, Fleetwood manager Micky Mellon decided to ring the changes, bringing on Sean Clancy for Gareth Seddon and, significantly, Jamie Mullan for Ian Craney. Mullan began to torment the City defence down the right and within minutes had played a decisive ball into the box. It was passed along the 18-yard line before being laid off for 39-year-old Alan Wright. From 25 yards the defender put in a stinging low shot that flew through a crowded penalty area and past Robinson in the City goal. For 20 minutes City were rocked back on their heels as Fleetwood pushed forward down either flank, with the diminutive Mullan always a threat and Clancy increasingly getting into the game down the left. Just when it looked as if the closing stages would be delivered at a jog, with Fleetwood simply playing keep-ball, City, as they have before this season, introduced a moment of doubt to their opponents. Joe Edwards, who had played well all afternoon, raced down the right before laying the ball off for his substitute namesake Darren Edwards. The experienced forward raced into the box, only to be upended by Fleetwood hero Wright. Mohamed scored from the spot, but unlike the previous Saturday’s game against Darlington, there was to be no fairytale stoppage-time ending.