Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 28 September 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 2-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 742

team: Robinson, J Edwards, Jombati, Rollo (c), Webb, Watkins (Simpson 70), Connolly, Canham, Russell (Harris 80), Mohamed, Phillips (D Edwards 78). subs not used: Mackie, Hart.
man of the match: Kaid Mohamed
scorers: Mohamed (pen 16), Russell (45)
bookings: none
officials: C Berry (Surrey), A Fielding (Deddington), D Leach (Witney)

league position: 20th form: DLDDLW next match: Cambridge Utd (A)

Report taken from

First-half goals from Kaid Mohamed and new boy Alex Russell set Bath City on their way to a first win in ten attempts. On-loan winger Marley Watkins had a hand in both goals, earning the penalty which Mohamed converted after 15 minutes before providing the cross which led to Russell's goal on the stroke of half-time, aided by a lucky ricochet off a Kidderminster defender. Both Watkins and former Bristol City midfielder Russell, who signed for the club yesterday, were making their home debuts having replaced Sekani Simpson and Adie Harris, who dropped to the bench.

And Russell thought he had scored within 60 seconds of his debut when he fired past Daniel Lewis after a quick free-kick but, to City's frustration, referee Carl Berry wasn't ready and pulled play back. Russell was playing in a withdrawn position just off the front two as City sought to take the game to the Harriers in the opening stages and Harriers did not look comfortable, particularly Lewis who fumbled a straightforward corner and was relieved to see the loose ball fall to one of his defenders. However, he was legitimately beaten in the 16th minute as City took the lead from the penalty spot. Kidderminster only half-cleared a Marc Canham free-kick and as Watkins cut into the box, he was brought down by Christopher McPhee. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Mohamed confidently dispatched the spot kick past Lewis. McPhee had a glorious chance to make amends for his mistake almost immediately when he was sent clear by a simple ball over the City defence but the Harriers striker dragged his shot wide of the far post. Ryan Robinson then had to plunge to his left to push Lee Morris's grubber shot around the post before City somehow scrambled the ball off the line after the subsequent corner was nodded goalwards by Michael Briscoe. The clearance fell to Mohamed who, buoyed by his goal, surged confidently at the Harriers defence before rolling the ball through to Watkins. However, the young winger fired his shot straight at keeper Lewis. The game had now sprung to life after a fairly sluggish start and both Adam Connolly and Mohamed were just off target with well-struck efforts from long range. Harriers' response was to lump balls into the penalty box and attempt to exploit City's defensive frailties but, despite a couple of iffy moments for keeper Robinson, the home side dealt well with the tactic. Indeed, it was the visitors who looked vulnerable at the back and Lee Phillips might have done better when some hesitation at the back allowed him to run on to a long clearance. However, he delayed his shot and Kidderminster managed to clear the danger. Phillips then managed to tee up Connolly with a clever header but the City midfielder scuffed his shot wide from the edge of the box. However, City had to survive a major scare five minutes before half-time when McPhee was allowed to race through on goal, despite appearing to be three yards offside. The Harriers striker unselfishly rolled the ball back and when Danny Webb missed his attempted clearance, it fell perfectly for Hankin who saw his shot smack off the underside of the bar and bounce to safety. It proved to be a costly miss as, on the stroke of half-time, City doubled their lead. Watkins' cross from the right was cleared by Briscoe but hit one of his defenders and fell invitingly for Russell, who gleefully rifled home his first goal for the club.

It was no more than City deserved for a very encouraging first half and they started the second in equally positive fashion, with loan duo Watkins and Joe Edwards causing plenty of problems down the right flank. City were still not looking entirely convincing at the back when Harriers went forward but, for once, the breaks and ricochets went in their favour. When Jack Byrne and Hankin did get shots on target, Robinson was able to save fairly easily. Hankin's shot was his last action before being replaced by Nickolas Wright and Marc Williams also came on for Callum Gittings as Harriers boss Steve Burr rang the changes. As well as the first substitutions, Harriers also picked up the first booking of the night following Briscoe's mistimed tackle on Phillips. City's first change came in the 70th minute when the tricky Watkins left the pitch to a standing ovation to be replaced by the more defensive-minded Simpson. Darren Edwards also came on for the tiring Phillips soon after. Harriers pushed for a way back into the game but City still somehow managed to keep them at bay, with Rollo having to clear off the line after more uncertainty in the home box. Russell's debut came to an end soon after as he was replaced by Adie Harris as City sought to see out the remaining ten minutes. Harriers were fortunate not to be reduced to ten men when Harriers striker Lee Morris, so often an isolated figure up front, let his frustration get the better of him and clattered into Joe Edwards, who was left rolling in agony. Morris escaped with a yellow card and was replaced immediately by Thomas Shaw before he could see red. Proof that luck was finally on City's side came in the 86th minute when Keith Briggs' well-flighted free-kick came back off the crossbar. City had to see out five minutes of injury-time but, apart from a McPhee header which dropped just over the angle, they did so quite comfortably as the long wait for a league win finally came to an end. Indeed, Mohamed should have increased their winning margin when he raced clean through in the 94th minute but, with just the keeper to beat, he sidefooted wide.