Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 2 October 2010 - The Abbey Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: W2-1 attendance: 2670

team: Robinson, Simpson, Rollo (c), Webb, Jombati, Canham, Harris, Russell (Mackie 87), Phillips (D Edwards 76), Mohamed, Watkins. subs not used: Borhy, Hart.
man of the match: Jim Rollo/Marc Canham
scorers: Canham (28), Mohamed (90+2)
bookings: Harris (45), Rollo (58), Mohamed (90)
officials: T Robinson, R Hodges, A Serrano

league position: 18th form: LDDLWW next match: Radstock Town (SPC) (A)

Report taken from

Kaid Mohamed's injury-time solo goal earned City an impressive away win at Cambridge United. The visitors had fallen behind to a Simon Russell goal as Cambridge piled on early pressure before Marc Canham's 28th-minute free-kick evened things up. The match seemed to be heading for a draw as both sides struggled in the second half but Mohamed took the ball past several players before firing home to win it for City. City made two changes from Tuesday's win at home to Kidderminster Harriers as Sekani Simpson came in at right-back to replace the injured Joe Edwards, while Adie Harris was brought into central midfield in place of Adam Connolly. City only had three outfield players on the bench, alongside reserve goalkeeper Giancarlo Borhy.

Cambridge started much the brighter and had a shot blocked within the first 30 seconds, while centre forward Danny Wright forced a save and Robbie Willmott had an effort blocked by City captain Jim Rollo. A goal looked like it was coming and sure enough a right-wing cross was touched on by Daryl Clare and Russell was on hand at the far post to score from close range. Marley Watkins had an immediate chance to equalise but Cambridge keeper Simon Brown was equal to the task. City came more into the game but still looked fragile in defence and were glad to see Russell shoot over with a good chance, while at the other end Mohamed shot inches wide. Canham and Phillips also had half-chances for City but Ryan Robinson was called into action at the other end to tip over Willmott's effort. The equaliser arrived in the 28th minute when Mohamed was fouled just outside the box and Canham lifted a delightful free-kick over the wall and in off the bar with keeper Brown standing motionless. The game opened up and Robinson saved from Willmott before Cambridge left-back James Jennings shot over. Alex Russell hit an optimistic long-range effort wide for City but Cambridge finished the half well and Willmott shot straight at Robinson from a free-kick, while Wright was just off target from the edge of the box.

Both teams seemed to take a while to regain their fluency after the break and could not create any early chances, although Robinson was put under a pressure with a couple of high balls into the box. City had a lucky escape 16 minutes in when Sido Jombati was robbed on the byline by Willmott, whose cross was turned home by Clare, only for the referee to blow up for a foul by Willmott, much to the anger of the home crowd. Moments later, Wright played Russell in down the left but his shot was parried by Robinson and cleared to safety. City produced little going forward in the third quarter of the match, with Russell sending a left-foot chip over with the only chance, while at the other end a Jennings shot from distance forced Robinson into action again. The visitors threatend more in the closing stages and Phillips, despite limping heavily, could have put City ahead on 75 minutes when Watkins sent him through on goal but he took too long and could not get his shot away. Edwards replaced Phillips moments later and his flick-on gave Mohamed a chance to shoot from the corner of the box, but Brown was equal to the task. Cambridge had penalty appeals turned down when substitute Adam Marriott went down under Jombati's challenge, while Marriott also shot well over from distance. City could have won it in the 90th minute when substitutes Hector Mackie and Darren Edwards combined for Edwards to get a shot in but he could not find the target. The match looked set to finish 1-1 but Mohamed received the ball on the left in the 92nd minute, dribbled past several Cambridge defenders and lashed home to clinch a dramatic win.