Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 9 October 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: D1-1 attendance: 1074

team: Robinson, Simpson, Rollo (c), Webb, Jombati, Watkins (Murray 87), Russell (Connolly 85), Harris, Canham, Mohamed, Phillips (D Edwards 63). subs not used: Borhy, Jones.
man of the match: Sido Jombati
scorers: Mohamed (27)
bookings: none
officials: M Amphlett (Kidderminster), A Hopkins (Plymouth), M Whaley (Plymouth)

league position: 20th form: DLWWDD next match: York City (A)

Report taken from

Bath City were denied a third straight Blue Square Bet Premier victory this afternoon as Matt Langston’s late header rescued a scarcely-deserved point for Eastbourne Borough. Adie Britton’s men were dominant throughout and passed up numerous opportunities to add to the slender advantage they were given by Kaid Mohamed’s spectacular overhead kick. The red-hot striker broke the deadlock from close range on 27 minutes and has now netted in each of his last five appearances. Alex Russell, Marley Watkins and Darren Edwards all went close to scoring as City poured forward after the break but they were left to reflect on two dropped points when Langston headed home Matt Crabb’s corner with eight minutes to go. Britton, who was watching from the stand due to illness, named the same starting XI that defeated Cambridge United 2-1 at the Abbey Stadium last Saturday. The bench showed three changes, however, with Scott Murray, sidelined for two months with an ankle problem, returning alongside Gethin Jones and Adam Connolly. Jones has been out since the dramatic draw with Darlington due to a hamstring problem, while Connolly missed the game at Cambridge in order to attend the birth of his daughter.

A skiddy surface made for a scrappy start but City were quicker to settle. A slip by the visiting defence let in Lee Phillips in the fifth minute, but the striker’s hesitancy allowed Neil Jenkins to pinch the ball from him on the edge of the box. A confident Mohamed, whose brilliant late winner had earned City maximum points at Cambridge, was always a handful in his role on the left. The Welshman was twice off target from distance in the opening exchanges, while Marc Canham also saw a 25-yard strike fly harmlessly wide of keeper Rikki Banks’ right post. While City clearly had the edge, Eastbourne might have gone ahead on 21 minutes. Jamie Taylor held the ball up well inside the box and Nathan Crabb laid the ball off for his unmarked brother, Matt, to send a left-footed shot into Robinson’s midriff from 12 yards. But it was the hosts who broke the deadlock six minutes later. Watkins’ trickery and cross from the right set up Mohamed on the penalty spot, but the in-form hitman could only shoot straight at Banks and the ball bounced off the keeper and behind for a corner. Canham’s right-wing delivery was only half cleared by the Eastbourne defence and Danny Webb nodded the ball back into the six-yard box, where the lurking Mohamed produced an acrobatic overhead kick that went in off the far post. Russell nearly doubled the lead when City broke quickly 11 minutes before the interval. Phillips’ pass sent the veteran racing towards goal on the left, but Banks managed to gather his rising drive from the edge of the box at the second attempt. But while they were looking increasingly dangerous in attack, City, like their visitors, were not altogether convincing at the back. And it took a fine save from Robinson to rescue keep them ahead at the break, the keeper clawing Taylor’s header away from the top corner after the lively Eastbourne forward gave Jim Rollo the slip.

City had a huge let-off inside a minute of the restart when Eastbourne had a goal disallowed. Jenkins’ header goalwards was helped on by Taylor and, with Robinson beaten, the ball looked to be going in. Simon Weatherstone, standing in an offside position, helped it on its way over the line from a yard out and duly had his celebrations cut short by an assistant’s flag. Taylor then miscued a shot well wide from the edge of the box but City soon regained control of proceedings. Phillips, without a goal since August 21, was only inches away from connecting with Harris’ driven cross after the midfielder combined well with Russell on the left. The former Exeter man made way for Edwards soon afterwards and the substitute almost scored with his first touch, eluding Ben Austin with some neat control before firing a shot across the face of goal. With the excellent Russell pulling the strings from midfield, Banks parried a shot from Watkins and then advanced quickly from his goal to save at Edwards’ feet. The overworked keeper then made a mess of dealing with Sekani Simpson’s lofted right-wing cross before redeeming himself by blocking Russell’s follow-up effort from point-blank range. Watkins blazed over the bar from 10 yards in the ensuing melee. So dominant were City that a second goal looked a formality, but they were rocked with eight minutes to go. Sido Jombati was forced into a last-ditch block to foil Ethan Strevett after a deep cross reached the substitute at the far post. The resulting right-wing corner from Matt Crabb was met by the head of Langston, whose downward header squirmed past Robinson and over the line – to both the shock and delight of the small band of travelling fans from Sussex. City almost found an instant reply when Canham’s free-kick from inside the Eastbourne half was flicked goalwards by Edwards, but a backpeddaling Banks tipped the forward’s header over the bar. Connolly and Murray entered the fray for Russell and Watkins in the closing stages, but despite four minutes of injury time being added, the pair could not help City find the winner their performance merited