FA Cup 4th Qualifying Roundr
Saturday 23 October 2010 - Hunts Copse - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D0-0 attendance: 551

team: Robinson, J Edwards, Jombati, Rollo (c), Jones, Canham, Russell, Connolly, Murray (Mackie 65), Mohamed, Phillips (D Edwards 60). subs not used: Webb, Hart, Hogg, Harris, Borhy.
man of the match: Joe Edwards
scorers: none
bookings: Mackie (83)
officials: R Whitton (Braintree), C O'Donnell (L Buzzard), T Donnellan (L Buzzard)

league position: n/a form: WWDDDd next match: Swindon S'Marine (H)

Report taken from

In a game that provided few memorable moments for either set of supporters, the one comfort Bath City’s travelling fans will take is that at least they are in the hat for Sunday lunchtime’s FA Cup first-round draw. The downside is a further game – Tuesday night’s Twerton Park replay - before a high-profile league match at Luton Town and continued injury worries over Lewis Hogg, Joe Burnell and Sekani Simpson.

Despite the two-division gap between these teams, it was Supermarine, on the back of having lost only one game in their last 13 matches, who started the livelier of the two sides. Not surprisingly the threat came from ex-City playmaker Jamie Gosling, pressing forward down the left, and Ashan Holgate, who pressurised the away defence. However, apart from one shot from Chris Taylor straight into City keeper Ryan Robinson’s hands, the visiting shot-stopper remained a spectator not only for the first 45 minutes but for much of the match. Yet at the other end chances also came few and far between for the City attack. Playing for much of the game with Lee Philips as a lone striker and Kaid Mohamed on the left flank, shots were mainly restricted to long-range efforts from midfielders Alex Russell, Marc Canham and Adam Connolly. When the ball was played through the centre, former City players Leigh Henry and Gary Horgan proved an equal match for Philips in the air and there were few chances for the isolated striker to lay the ball off to either Mohamed or Scott Murray, starting only his second game of the season. The best chances of the opening half came with the interval approaching. On the 30-minute mark Philips looked to be clear on goal but keeper Mark Scott raced off his line, just managing to toe poke the ball away before the City forward reached it. Just two minutes later Russell had a shot parried away by Scott and Matt Robinson cleared up the rebound. City thought they had scored when the keeper pushed away a Russell shot only as far as Philips, who stabbed his shot home. He punched the air with delight but the referee’s assistant brought him down to earth by signalling the goal was offside.

In the second half, City came out with greater urgency but still failed to put real pressure on the home goal. Again it was the lively Russell at the centre of the action. First, he played a good one-two with Mohamed, only to see the latter fire straight at Scott. Then just minutes later his cross was only inches away from a Philips header that would have resulted in a certain goal. Finally, from a Joe Edwards pass into the box, Russell shot on the turn, but again the ball easily found keeper Scott. City brought on Darren Edwards for Philips and Hector Mackie for Murray, but despite this they could find no way past a tiring Supermarine side.