Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 9 November 2010 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W3-1 attendance: 532

team: Pentney, Burnell (Harris 65), Jombati, Rollo (c), Webb, Connolly, Canham, Russell (J Edwards 75), Murray (Jones 35), Mohamed, Phillips. subs not used: Borhy, D Edwards.
man of the match: Lee Phillips
scorers: Mohamed (20), Jones (87), Phillips (90+2)
bookings: none
officials: J Busby (Oxford), C Mann (Exeter), J McCaffery (Lauceston)

league position: 16th form: DdLLDW next match: Southport (A)

Report taken from

Gethin Jones went from villian to hero as Bath City claimed a vital victory in their relegation six-pointer against Hayes & Yeading United. The defender's unfortunate slip allowed Sierra Leone international Ahmed Deen to grab a late equaliser for the visitors, cancelling out Kaid Mohamed's first-half blockbuster. But there was still time for Jones to make amends when he headed home from a corner in the 87th minute. And City made sure of the points when Mohamed burst down the left before setting up a simple finish for Lee Phillips in injury-time. City boss Adie Britton made one change to the team which drew 2-2 with Altrincham on Saturday, surprisingly relegating on-loan full-back Joe Edwards to the bench. Joe Burnell moved to right-back and his place in midfield was taken by Scott Murray, who provided the assist for Lee Phillips' first goal at the weekend.

Pentney - on loan from Colchester United - continued in goal and was called into action as early as the 33rd second, using a strong hand to push over Michael Malcolm's well-struck shot from 25 yards. City took a while to settle into the game but they went close in the eighth minute when Adam Connolly smacked a snap-shot from the edge of the area which fizzed just over the angle. But it was Hayes who were looking the better team and Adam Green was just off target with a long-range shot, while Burnell and Danny Webb had to make timely interceptions. Malcolm's far post header was also blocked at close range by Burnell as Hayes sought to exploit some more uncertainty in the City defence. However, it was the home side who broke the deadlock against the run of play in the 20th minute. Mohamed had been slow to react when keeper Niki-Lee Bulmer allowed Burnell's cross to run across the six-yard box but he showed speed of thought and foot from the next attack. A seemingly harmless long ball forward suddenly became an opening when Mohamed accelerated past full-back Nathan Webb before unleashing a first-time shot which flew past Bulmer at his near post. It was a stunning strike and momentarily knocked Hayes out of their stride but they soon got back on the ball and should have equalised in the 23rd minute when Andy Yiadom's shot bounced off Danny Webb and back to Bradley Pritchard but his rushed effort went wide of the near post. Jake Hyde then fired wide of the other upright and captain Peter Holmes blazed wildly over the bar as Hayes continued to squander clear-cut chances, much to the home side's relief. City's passing was lackadaisical but they did pose an occasional threat on the break, with Mohamed again using his pace to surge to the byline before pulling the ball back for Alex Russell, who was adjudged to have handled as he lost his footing. On the other wing, Murray was struggling to get into the game and he was taken off ten minutes before half-time, with Jones coming on at right-back and Burnell being restored to his usual midfield role. However, a mistake by Jones on the halfway line left him out of position, allowing Hyde to slip the ball through to Malcolm in plenty of space but his low shot was superbly saved by Pentney and Jim Rollo completed the clearance. The ball went straight up the other end and it was Bulmer's turn to produce the heroics as he made a brilliant double save to deny Russell and Phillips, the second block an instinctive one with his feet. And an excellent couple of minutes for the keepers was completed when Pentney pushed Pritchard's angled drive to safety.

Both sides started the second half in tentative fashion and it wasn't until the 60th minute that the first chance of note was created, Yiadom being gifted the ball by Mohamed but lifting his shot over the bar from 18 yards. City's best chance of a second goal looked to be on the break and they launched two swift counter-attacks in quick succession but the first ended with Phillips' cross being blocked. The second saw Mohamed brilliantly nutmeg a defender as he cut in from the right but, having created space, the striker took one touch too many and the door was shut. Both teams made changes around the 65th-minute mark, with Adie Harris coming on for the tiring Burnell and Sierra Leone international Ahmed Deen coming on for Hayes winger Yiadom. It was the visitors' change which had the most effect and they started to apply more pressure but Danny Webb, Rollo and Sido Jombati made crucial blocks in quick succession to deny Holmes, Malcolm and Hyde respectively. Britton made his final change with 20 minutes to go, Joe Edwards coming on for the increasingly subdued Russell, while Hayes captain Holmes was surprisingly replaced by Elliot Buchanan. The pressure finally told in the 83rd minute when a slip by Jones allowed Deen to collect a cross from Nathan Webb before firing in a shot which Pentney, despite his best efforts, could not quite keep out. But Jones made amends with three minutes to go when he rose highest to head home from a corner, referee John Busby adjudging the ball had crossed the line despite vehement protests from the visitors. And Phillips killed Hayes off in the second minute of injury-time when he tapped home his fourth goal in three games following great play by Mohamed.