Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 29 January 2011 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W4-0 attendance: 1338

team: Pentney, Rollo (c), Webb (Jones 19), Ruddick, Jombati, Burnell (Hogg 74), Connolly, Canham, Phillips, Mohamed, Watson (Murray 65). subs not used: Robinson, Simpson.
man of the match: Marc Canham
scorers: Canham (47), Mohamed (pen 77, pen 88), Murray (83)
bookings: Jombati (85)
officials: C Berry (Surrey), A Hopkins (Plymouth), M Whaley (Plymouth)

league position: 10th form: dLLWDW next match: Kidderminster (H)

Report taken from

A free-kick from Marc Canham early in the second half was the catalyst for Bath City's ultimately comfortable victory over Cambridge United. After a disappointing first half, a Canham free-kick put City ahead just after the break before Mohamed doubled the lead from the penalty spot after a foul on substitute Scott Murray. United pushed forward to get back into the game but, moments after a great save by City keeper Carl Pentney, the hosts broke and Mohamed set up Murray for third goal. Mohamed completed the scoring with his second penalty after he was brought down in the box. City made one change from their 2-2 draw against AFC Wimbledon as Joe Burnell was brought into the starting line-up in place of Adie Harris, while the two former United men in the City squad - Danny Webb and Lee Phillips - kept their starting slots. The visitors came to Bath without star winger Robbie Willmott, who joined Luton Town for 50,000 yesterday.

Neither side could create a clear-cut chance in the opening 20 minutes, during which Webb was forced off with a head injury, replaced by Gethin Jones. Cambridge enjoyed a good spell midway through the half and James Jennings should have done better from inside the box, while Simon Russell shot just wide after good work from Daniel Wright. Moments later, Daryl Clare found himself unmarked from a Rory McAuley cross but could only head weakly at City keeper Carl Pentney, who was playing his last game for the club before returning to Colchester United. The hosts responded well and Adam Connolly found himself in a good position on several occasions but could not find the telling pass or cross. Mohamed should have put City ahead after 37 minutes when Ben Watson's shot was palmed away by United keeper Simon Brown but Mohamed could not get a clean touch on the ball with the goal at his mercy. United could have broken the deadlock three minutes later when first Luke Ruddick made a desperate challenge on Wright as he shaped to shoot and then Pentney saved the rebound from Clare. Cambridge kept up the pressure and Jennings was denied by a Watson tackle before Wright's shot was stopped by the legs of Pentney. The last chance of the half fell to Mohamed, who had a shot blocked from the edge of the box and fired the rebound wide when well placed.

A foul on Connolly early in the second half gave City a free-kick just outside the box and Canham's curling shot came down off the crossbar and went in off keeper Brown, although it may have gone in anyway. City had a chance to double their lead in the 54th minute when Lee Phillips charged a clearance down and the ball fell to Watson, but his shot was blocked. Substitute Jordan Patrick had a chance for the visitors three minutes later but his curling shot was just too high. A neat move on the right by United then allowed Jonathon Thorpe to put in an inviting cross but an unmarked Wright headed just wide. Scott Murray came off the bench as City switched to a 4-5-1 formation, with Lewis Hogg also coming on in place of Burnell, and they doubled their lead when Murray was fouled as he burst into the box and Mohamed fired home the penalty after 77 minutes. Things got worse for United when Thorpe was sent off for a second yellow card after a foul on Mohamed. Pentney made a fantastic one-handed save low to his left to deny United substitute Liam Hughes and City broke from the resulting corner through Mohamed, who played in Murray and the substitute finished neatly into the far corner to make it 3-0. City were not finished as Mohamed was fouled in the box and picked himself up to convert his second spot-kick. Murray had two chances to make it five but saw his first effort blocked and then had a well-controlled volley stopped by Brown.