Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 12 February 2011 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 899

team: Robinson, Simpson, Jones, Rollo (c) (Hogg 70), Jombati, Watkins (Murray 64), Connolly, Burnell, Canham, Mohamed (Watson 78), Phillips. subs not used: Ruddick, Hart.
man of the match: Gethin Jones
scorers: Watson (80), Murray (90+4)
bookings: Mohamed (15), Burnell (23), Hogg (83)
officials: W Barrett (Bromsgove), S Brown (Redditch), AN Other

league position: 11th form: LWDWLW next match: Kettering Town (A)

Report taken from

Super-subs Ben Watson and Scott Murray struck late on to earn Bath City all three points from this afternoon’s clash with Tamworth at Twerton Park. The meeting of two of Blue Square Bet Premier’s mid-table sides looked to be heading for a goalless draw before Watson’s majestic 25-yarder broke the deadlock with ten minutes to go. It was the on-loan Exeter striker’s first goal in a City shirt and a strike worthy of winning any game. And Murray rounded off a deserved victory – one that takes City past the 40-point mark for the campaign and up to 11th in the table – after he was set up by Marc Canham’s precise pass deep into stoppage time. City boss Adie Britton made one change to the side that went down 1-0 at Kidderminster last Saturday, with Marley Watkins handed his first start since signing permanent deal with the club at the expense of veteran Murray.

The visitors had the chance to open the scoring in the third minute when Danny Thomas’ left-wing centre found Kyle Perry unmarked eight yards out. But the cross lacked any pace and the big forward could only direct a tame header into Ryan Robinson’s arms. Defender Richard Tait then lashed a wild volley high and wide of the target after the Lambs forced the game’s first corner. City quickly threatened at the other end when Lee Phillips’ neat flick teed up Adam Connolly for a shot that keeper Ross Atkins held with ease. Kaid Mohamed looked lively early on but City’s leading marksman collected a rare booking for a clear dive on 14 minutes after Canham’s long-range pass sent him racing into the area. Watkins then fashioned space for a shot from 25 yards out and Atkins did well to get down low to his right and palm the former Cheltenham Town youngster’s crisp effort to safety. Burnell followed Mohamed into referee Wayne Barratt’s notebook following a late lunge on Scott Barrow in front of an incensed away bench. Daniel Bradley floated an effort just past the angle of post and bar for the away side and Perry had a shot blocked by Gethin Jones but it was City who finished a fairly even half in the ascendancy. Atkins’ hurried clearance under pressure from Phillips fell to Watkins on the right and, despite the attentions of a posse of defenders, the winger was able to float an inviting cross to the far post. Phillips met it with a downward header but the ball bounced agonisingly across the face of goal and was hacked to safety. Sido Jombati sent an acrobatic volley just over the top after Jones nodded down Canham’s deep free-kick but Tamworth had the final chance of the half when Thomas directed a low drive straight at Robinson in stoppage time.

Perry was the focal point of Tamworth’s attacking play and he again got his head to a Duane Courtney cross nine minutes into the second half, his effort dropping harmlessly wide of Robinson’s net. Tamworth skipper Tom Marshall did well to stick out a leg and foil Mohamed as he prepared to bear down on goal from Connolly’s pass, before Burnell scooped a shot over the bar following Canham’s free-kick. City were largely on top by now but the visitors had their moments and Perry was off target with another header after meeting right-wing centre from the increasingly influential Courtney Watkins made way for Murray as Britton made the first of three substitutions soon afterwards. The second saw Lewis Hogg replace captain Jim Rollo, who had been involved in a clash of heads with Tamworth substitute Malvin Kamara moments before, but it was the third – on 78 minutes – that proved the most decisive. Watson entered the fray for the frustrated Mohamed and, within 90 seconds, collected Jombati’s flick and turned superbly before showing tremendous awareness to send a dipping drive from outside the box over the head of the helpless Atkins. A previously flat crowd of 899 suddenly came to life and the home contingent almost had a second goal to celebrate just a minute later. Courtney’s hesitancy allowed Phillips to nick the ball from him on the left touchline and the striker, who had just been off the pitch for treatment for a head injury, burst clear and cut inside before seeing his low shot cannon off Atkins’ legs and behind for a corner. Tamworth pressed for a leveller, with Marshall’s low left-wing cross causing particular alarm before it was cleared at the second attempt by Hogg, but left themselves exposed at the other end. Hogg dragged his finish horribly wide after fellow substitute Murray found him all on his own eight yards from goal, but the latter made no mistake when presented with the chance to wrap up the points four minutes into stoppage time. Canham’s defence-splitting pass sent the ex-Bristol City man scampering clear and, although he looked to have taken the ball too wide as he rounded the keeper, he recovered to squeeze the ball between Atkins and his near post with virtually the last kick of the match.