Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 1 March 2011 - Nene Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-4 result: L1-5 attendance: 804

team: Robinson, Simpson, Rollo (c), Jones, Jombati, Clough, Connolly, Canham, Murray (Mohamed 61), Watkins, Phillips (Mackie 77). subs not used: Henry, Hart, Jeanne.
man of the match: Lee Phillips
scorers: Murray (pen 15)
bookings: Rollo (40)
officials: John Busby (Oxfordshire)

league position: 13th form: LWLDWL next match: Kettering Town (H)

Report taken from

Michael Gash netted four times as Bath City were handed their heaviest defeat of the Blue Square Bet Premier campaign by Rushden & Diamonds at Nene Park. Manager Adie Britton, who gave a debut to on-loan Bristol Rovers defender Charlie Clough, saw his team fall 4-1 down in the first half before going on to concede five for the first time since he arrived at the club almost six years ago.

City went into the game looking to register a win that would have seen them reach Brittonís pre-season target of 48 points but were completely outplayed from start to finish. The visiting line-up had a slightly unusual shape, with newcomer Clough playing slightly in front of a back four of Sekani Simpson, Jim Rollo, Gethin Jones and Sido Jombati. It was a formation that was exposed with only eight minutes gone. Rushden won a free-kick some 25 yards from goal, which Alan Power lined up to take. The expectation was that Power would curve the set-piece to the far post but instead he played it just in front of the defence and Gash got just enough of his head to the ball to direct it to the left of a stranded Ryan Robinson in the City goal. City have earned a reputation as the divisionís comeback kings this term and the same magic looked to be working just five minutes later when Scott Murray burst into the opposing penalty area before unleashing a powerful shot that glanced off a Rushden defenderís hand. Despite the home sideís protestations, referee John Busby pointed to the penalty spot and, with regular taker Kaid Mohamed on the bench, Murray obliged by sending keeper Joe Day the wrong way. However, this time there was to be no revival, nor any gradual momentum building to a winning goal. Instead Rushden quickened their pace and outshone City in every department. Ryan Charles and Power tormented City on the flanks and with the lively Aaron OíConnor darting from side to side and Gash ever threatening, the visitors succumbed. On 25 minutes Gash was quickest to react after Robinson kept out Charlesí effort with his knees, putting the ball across the line from six yards to restore his sideís advantage. Without City being able to mount a single successful attack, Charles got between Jim Rollo and Gethin Jones to head home Eddie Oshodiís cross 14 minutes later. The lively Charles then turned provider when, after collecting the ball on the left, he crossed for Gash to head home and complete a first-half hat-trick. It left Robinson thumping the ground with despair as his defence yet again left him stranded

After the interval City re-grouped, with debutant Clough moving into the back four and Jones playing in front of the defence. For a time it threatened to work as both Simpson and Marc Canham made good runs down the right and Adam Connolly won a free-kick that hit the wall from 19 yards out. However, Rushden soon regained the initiative and completed Cityís misery 19 minutes from the end. This time O'Connor broke away down the left, pressurised Simpson into a slip and, as Robinson came of his line, crossed for Gash to touch home his fourth of the night.