Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 23 August 2011 - Kingsfield Stadium - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-1 result: D1-1 attendance: 172

team: Garner, Simpson, Stonehouse, Jones (c), Preece (Russell 88), Mills (Cook 72), Burnell (Murray 53), Watkins, Connolly, Phillips, Hogg. subs not used: Rollo, Webb.
man of the match: Sekani Simpson
scorers: Murray (90+4)
bookings: Connolly (60)
officials: tbc

league position: 22nd form: --DLLD next match: Tamworth (H)

Report taken from

Super-sub Scott Murray conjured up a stoppage-time equaliser as Bath City collected their second point of the campaign at the Kingfield Stadium tonight. A game of contrasting halves - if not necessarily contrasting performances – saw hosts Hayes & Yeading dominant over the first 30 minutes but City controlling much of the second period. It ended with the points shared but with City boss Adie Britton again reaffirming his determination that his side’s work ethic needs to be stepped up

For the visitors the opening stages were all about containment, with Hayes constantly snapping at the heels of the City midfield and with the much-travelled talent of Richard Paquette a constant menace up front. As early as the fifth minute Mark Preece was called upon to clear a Paquette shot off the line with later attempts on goal from the former QPR striker and Ryan Crockford also going close. City looked to have weathered the storm and were unlucky on 37 minutes when a Marley Watkins shot was deflected behind for a corner as City at last began to press forward. However, with the fourth official’s board already back in its cover having signalled a solitary minute of time to be added on at the end of the first period, the home side struck. Crockford hit a speculative 30-yard shot that bounced back off Glyn Garner’s crossbar and the predatory Paquette was on hand to put the ball over the line.

Britton confessed: “For the first time this season fairly harsh words were said at half-time. Hopefully this will be the catalyst to get one or two players going.” Whatever was said it had an immediate impact. City had forced one corner in the first half yet with the second period only ten minutes old they had already added three more. In part the change was induced by the 52nd-minute introduction of Murray, who instantly gave the side greater width and penetration. Within seconds of being on the pitch he had forced a diving save from Hayes keeper Steve Arnold. Yet despite repeating the feat with ten minutes to go it began to look as if City were heading for a third defeat in a row. As Britton paced around his technical area like a caged animal, caution was thrown to the wind as first Jamie Cook was introduced to the attack, followed by Alex Russell to give a four-man strikeforce. Two minutes into stoppage time the move paid off. Lewis Hogg placed an inch-perfect pass down the left for Murray to collect. The experienced winger took one touch before running on to slide the ball past a diving Arnold for the equaliser. The City bench, to a man, leapt to their feet as if they had just won the league rather than rescued a point. It added momentary atmosphere to an otherwise almost deserted stadium, which played host to just 172 fans.