Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 27 August 2011 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-2 attendance: 656

team: Garner, Simpson, Stonehouse, Jones (c), Preece (Canham 65), Burnell, Connolly, Russell (Egan 76), Hogg, Phillips, Cook (Murray 58). subs not used: Mills, Rollo.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: none
bookings: Hogg (80)
officials: J Amey (Bournemouth), C Wade (Bournemouth), I Parsons (Salisbury)

league position: 22nd form: -DLLDL next match: Forest Green (A)

Report taken from

A goalkeeping mistake and an injury-time strike condemned toothless Bath City to a third home defeat of the season - as many as they suffered through the whole of the last campaign. Glyn Garner's mis-kick was returned with interest by Tamworth midfielder Danny Thomas just after the half-hour mark to put Tamworth ahead and they killed the game off late on when substitute Nabil Shariff tapped home. City huffed and puffed throughout the afternoon but only produced three efforts of note, with Paul Stonehouse and Joe Burnell both forcing saves from long range and Lee Phillips firing wide with just the keeper to beat. And with Alex Russell being forced off with a knee injury in the closing stages, it was another afternoon to forget for City supporters. Despite his last-gasp heroics against Hayes & Yeading United in midweek, Scott Murray again had to be content with a place on the bench but both Jamie Cook and Russell returned to the starting line-up. Marley Watkins was out injured but Phillips, in the wars against Hayes, was fit to start and Marc Canham - fresh from his coaching trip to China for the World Student Games - was included among the substitutes. Tamworth, managed by 35-year-old Marcus Law, featured just three players who started last season's corresponding fixture, which City won 2-0, after a hectic summer of transfer activity.

But they have made a decent start to the season and dominated the opening exchanges, with Kyle Patterson having a shot blocked in the first minute and Iyseden Christie forcing a save from Garner at his near post. City got back into the game but struggled to get their passing game going, allowing a couple of promising positions to go to waste. It took until the 26th minute to produce their first chance of note - and it would have led to the opening goal but for Lambs keeper Jonathan Hedge getting down brilliantly to touch Paul Stonehouse's 25-yard drive around the post. Mark Preece then saw his close-range effort from a corner hit an unwitting Tamworth defender as City looked like they were beginning to assume the upper hand. However, the momentum swung against them in the 32nd minute following a mistake by Garner. The City keeper has impressed so far this season but mis-kicked a clearance straight to Lambs midfielder Danny Thomas, who instantly chipped the ball towards the empty net. Garner tried desperately to get back but the shot was perfectly placed and dropped into the far corner. City are used to being behind this season, having trailed in all five games, but the goal seemed to rock them on their heels and Patterson twice went close to doubling the lead in the next five minutes, glancing Richard Tait's cross narrowly wide before drilling a shot over the bar. Joe Burnell almost produced a response when he was picked out by Lewis Hoggs' inswinging free-kick but the midfielder's header was too high and City found themselves trailing at the break for the second time in five days.

They were almost 2-0 down in the 51st minute when scott Barrow's chipped cross found Patterson at the back post but the Lambs striker could not keep his header down from a couple of yards out. City were struggling to create anything as an attacking force, with Cook again looking ineffective, so it was no surprise when he was replaced in the 58th minute by Murray. His arrival gave the home side a lift and Burnell forced a good save from Hedge with a shot on the turn from 20 yards, while Sekani Simpson's dangerous cross had to be turned behind by Lambs defender Paul Green. City were enjoying their best spell of the half and boss Adie Britton tried to force home the advantage by making an attacking switch, with midfielder Canham coming on for defender Preece. Tamworth made their first change at the same time, Ashley Cain replacing Danny Mills. However, despite continuing to get into promising positions, City again struggled to create chances and it was Tamworth who looked most likely to score on the break, with Stonehouse stretching to cut out a dangerous cross and Garner making a fantastic point-blank save to deny Thomas. Russell was clattered during the build-up to that effort and had to limp off for treatment on a knee injury, forcing Britton to make his third and final change and send on young Josh Egan for his first start since rejoining the club. City were now desperately seeking an equaliser and should have grabbed it in the 80th minute when Phillips dispossessed Lambs defender Green on the edge of the box, only to slam his shot wide of the post. It was greeted by a moan of disbelief from the City supporters, who saw any lingering hopes of getting something from the game killed off in the fourth minute of injury-time when Bradley worked his way to the byline and cut the ball back for Shariff to tap home. City fans will be hoping for much better from their team when they visit local rivals Forest Green Rovers on Bank Holiday Monday (3pm).