Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 13 September 2011 - Bootham Crescent - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-1 attendance: 2030

team: Garner, Simpson, Stonehouse, Jones (c), Clough, Burnell, Canham, Connolly, Watkins, Swallow (Egan 84), Phillips (Preece 79). subs not used: Matthews, Rollo, Cook.
man of the match: Charlie Clough
scorers: none
bookings: Watkins (27), Clough (45)
officials: R Clark

league position: 24th form: LDLLLL next match: AFC Telford Utd (A)

Report taken from

For the neutral this was a game that had everything. Fast flowing football, little sub-contests all over the pitch and penalties both missed and saved. Yet for the cadre of Bath City supporters who made the long trip to Yorkshire it amounted to nothing, given that the final ingredient was a winner for the home side with just three minutes to go. Drama was clearly the order of the day before City had even arrived at York City’s Bootham Crescent ground. On the route North, Alex Russell was suddenly taken ill, collapsing in Wakefield before being rushed to hospital – where he spent the night - for tests. For Britton it meant another reshuffle of his pack which resulted in Charlie Clough coming in at the heart of the defence in place of Mark Preece and Josh Egan earning a spot on the bench. Yet if the day’s events had unsettled his side there was no sign of it as for virtually 40 minutes the side at the bottom of the Blue Square Bet Premier table took York City apart. With Ben Swallow and Marley Watkins switching flanks at regular intervals and Lee Phillips proving his characteristic handful, York had few answers.

Inside four minutes Swallow had darted past three defenders before passing to Phillips, who brought out a low save from Michael Ingham in the York goal. Thirteen minutes later Joe Burnell flicked the ball on to Phillips, whose header was tipped over by Ingham. Just after the half-hour mark a free-kick from Swallow found the head of Burnell but the City midfielder got under the ball and in the gusting wind lifted it over the goal. The home side eventually began to exert themselves in the closing stages of the half. Ashley Chambers brought ironic cheers from the home crowd as York had their first shot on target some ten minutes before the interval. However, with only a minute of time added on to be played at the end of the first period it looked as if disaster had struck for City when Charlie Clough clearly fouled Jon Challinor inside the area and referee Richard Clark pointed to the spot. However, the crowd’s cheers soon turned to jeers as top-scorer Jason Walker lifted his spot kick high over the crossbar. It was the last action of the half and it ensured that the home side left the field to a rousing chorus of boos.

The second period was a complete reversal of the first and within a minute of the restart, Glyn Garner was been forced into two excellent saves, first from Andre Boucard and then on the rebound from Walker. It was the cue for a sustained period of pressure and ten minutes later Garner repeated the feat, this time saving at point-blank range from the lively Chambers. When Walker, for virtually the first time all evening, managed to shake off Clough but put his shot a yard wide with 20 minutes to go, you began to think this could be City’s night. That feeling was confirmed five minutes later when a long ball downfield found Swallow. Racing on, the on-loan Bristol Rovers man went over the outstretched leg of Ingham and was awarded a penalty. The diminutive winger stepped up to take it himself, only to put his kick too close to the keeper, who produced a diving save to his left. Still City looked an odds-on cert for a consolation point, but were denied even that in a despairing final few minutes. Another York attack saw the ball bobble around the City defence - a leg stuck out here, an indecisive header there - until from 12 yards out up popped substitute Jamie Reed. He was determined to make no mistake and blasted the ball into the roof of the net through a crowd of players to give the home fans something to cheer and Britton’s side the bitter pill of a fourth straight defeat, despite such a determined display.