Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 20 September 2011 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-1 result: D1-1 attendance: 1153

team: Garner, Simpson, Stonehouse, Jones (c), Clough, Burnell, Canham, Connolly, Swallow, Agdestein (Hogg 46), Phillips (Murray 81 (Preece 90)). subs not used: Rollo, Russell.
man of the match: Glyn Garner
scorers: Phillips (72)
bookings: Clough (9), Jones (19), Stonehouse (27), Phillips (45)
dismissals: Clough (40), Stonehouse (88)
officials: P Bankes (Bootle), A Matthews (Stroud), K Morris (Hereford)

league position: 24th form: LLLLLD next match: Kettering Town (H)

Report taken from

Nine-man Bath City produced a wonderful recovery to grab an unlikely but deserved point against Luton Town. The rock-bottom hosts looked on course for an eighth defeat of the season when Amari Morgan-Smith put the unbeaten Hatters ahead on the stroke of half-time. That came four minutes after defender Charlie Clough had been shown his second yellow card of the game, leaving City to play 50 minutes a man down. But, helped by the introduction of Lewis Hogg, they belied their disadvantage and were the better team in the second half, with Ben Swallow posing a real threat down the left. And it was no surprised that he should be involved in the equaliser, firing in a low shot which keeper Mark Tyler could only parry straight to Lee Phillips who gleefully tucked home his first goal of the season. Paul Stonehouse was also sent off in the 88th minute but City somehow held on, with Glyn Garner making a wonderful full-stretch save to deny Jamie Hand at the death. It was no more than City deserved and they must take the positives from this performance into Saturday's crucial home match against Kettering Town.

On the back of four successive home defeats, a match against second-placed Luton Town always looked an uphill task but that became a mountain when Clough received his second yellow in the 40th minute. It was harsh on the Bristol Rovers loanee, who looked like he had got a touch on the ball as he challenged Jake Howells on the edge of the box. However, Clough - whose first caution came in the ninth minute following a late lunge on James Dance - was fortunate not to have been sent off for another earlier foul on Morgan-Smith. Morgan-Smith caused City problems all night with his running from deep and put the Hatters ahead just before half-time, reacting quickest after Stuart Fleetwood's fanastic curling shot had thudded off the post. City keeper Garner also had to make a flying save to keep out a Morgan-Smith free-kick as Luton created the majority of first-half chances. The hosts' best moment came from man of the match Swallow, who cut in from the left and unleashed a right-footed shot which flew just wide of the far post. The winger was also narrowly off target with a left-footed volley as City made a bright start to the second period, with Joe Burnell putting two headers over from close range. Substitute Lewis Hogg also forced a near-post save from Hatters keeper Mark Tyler as spirited City battled their way back into the match to grab a morale-boosting point, despite losing Stonehouse to a second yellow card following a foul on Colin Samuel.