Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 27 September 2011 - Stonebridge Road - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L0-3 attendance: 816

team: Garner, Simpson (Murray 45), Stonehouse, Rollo (c), Clough, Gallinagh, Canham, Hogg, Watkins (Cook 66), Swallow, Phillips. subs not used: Matthews, Preece, Agdestein.
man of the match: Jim Rollo
scorers: none
bookings: Hogg (67), Clough (69)
officials: N Kingsley, M Tweed, N Wilde

league position: 24th form: LLLDLL next match: Lincoln City (A)

Report taken from

Rock-bottom Bath City failed to win for the 12th time this season as they tasted perhaps the most crucial defeat of their season so far a Stonebridge Road. A fortuitous Callum Willock goal gave fellow strugglers Ebbsfleet United the lead and the striker later completed City’s humiliation with his second of the night, sealing his team’s first home win of the campaign in the process. City are now five points adrift of second-from-bottom Newport County in the Blue Square Bet Premier table and have found the net only five times since the opening day. City boss Adie Britton had billed tonight’s game as a six-pointer and it was one which he afterwards confessed he was bitterly disappointed to lose. “I am beginning to think we are cursed," he commented, referring to the opening goal. “But we have to do something about it. I will talk to the board but we have to bring in new personnel, particularly up front.”

City opened the game as if they were the league leaders rather than propping up the table as for the opening 20 minutes they pinned Ebbsfleet back into their own half. Lee Phillips saw his shot go narrowly over the crossbar in the first minute before Sekani Simpson fired wide and Marley Watkins had a goal-bound attempt tipped round the post by keeper keeper Preston Edwards. But if ever an illustration was needed that this is not likely to be City’s season it came on 24 minutes. Tom Phipp lined up a shot from the right which Glyn Garner looked to have well covered but instead it rebounded off Willock’s back and past the wrong-footed City keeper. The goal served to regenerate the home side and they were unlucky not to double their tally when just two minutes later Yado Mambo saw his header glance off the bar with Garner beaten.

In the second half it was more of the same with City opening brightly and pressing forward looking for a goal. However, they were punished for their adventurism when on 54 minutes Charlie Clough failed to get close enough to Michael West, who turned and shot past Garner to make it 2-0. From then on it was all Ebbsfleet. Further shots followed for Phipp and Willock before the latter wrapped up the points with 15 minutes to go. A cross from Craig Stone found Willock, whose diving header gave Garner no chance. Further gloom for City came before kick-off when Adam Connolly was withdrawn from their injury-hit squad with suspected glandular fever.