Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 1 October 2011 - Sincil Bank - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-2 result: L0-2 attendance: 2244

team: Garner, Jones (c), Gallinagh, Clough, Burnell (Stonehouse 61), Watkins (Murray 55), Hogg, M Canham, Russell, Swallow, Phillips (S Canham 38). subs not used: Rollo, Preece.
man of the match: Ben Swallow
scorers: none
bookings: Gallinagh (52), M Canham (80)
officials: S Stockbridge, S Garratt, S Brown

league position: 24th form: LLDLLL next match: Taunton Town (A)

Report taken from

Two first-half goals gave Lincoln City a comfortable victory over Bath City, who remain without a win this season. Sam Smith netted the first after 20 minutes and Gavin McCallum got a second ten minutes later, with City offering little as they tried to get back into the match.

It was an ominous start for City as they lost the ball within seconds of kicking off and Ali Fuseini got in an early shot for the hosts after 15 seconds. Ben Swallow made a couple of threatening runs on the left but McCallum began to cause problems for the City defence and his dangerous cross was volleyed wide by Simon Russell. City had a lucky escape after 15 minutes when Russell played in Smith but he could not get the ball under control. Swallow looked City's most likely source of an opening and he nearly created a chance for Lee Phillips but the cross was cut out just in time. However, Lincoln were finding space going forward and made it count after 20 minutes when McCallum's cross was headed goalwards by Smith and City keeper Glyn Garner could only palm it into the net. City went close seven minutes later when Joe Burnell got a touch on Swallow's bobbling shot but it looped just wide. The hosts doubled their lead on the half-hour when City lost the ball in midfield, Russell played McCallum through and he blasted past Garner. Lincoln had several chances to add a third in the next few minutes but Garner saved from Danny Hone and McCallum. City were then forced into a change when Phillips was injured, with Sean Canham coming on in his place. Alex Russell went close for the visitors on 41 minutes with a 25-yard shot that Lincoln keeper Joe Anyon did well to tip over, while Burnell bundled the ball wide from the resulting corner. The last chance of the half went to Lincoln but Russell volleyed wide from Smith's cross.

Lincoln started the second half brightly and Alan Power hit the crossbar with a curling effort before having his cross blocked after a dangerous run. Having already brought Scott Murray on for Marley Watkins, City were then forced into their final change on 60 minutes when the injured Joe Burnell was replaced by Paul Stonehouse. City struggled to fashion any clear-cut chances but the game did become more open in the closing stages. The best chance for City to get back into the match came after 79 minutes when Sean Canham's flick from an Alex Russell free-kick flew inches wide. Canham had a couple of long-range efforts that offered little threat to the Lincoln goal as the home side comfortably saw out the victory.