Somerset Premier Cup 1st Round
Monday 3 October 2011 - Wordsworth Drive - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L1-2 attendance: 223

team: Matthews, Rollo (c), Bloom, Preece, Clough, Stonehouse, Murray, Connolly, Cook, S Canham, Egan (Watkins 68). subs not used: Wilson, Prosser, Cooper, Lenihan.
man of the match: Josh Egan
scorers: Egan (67)
bookings: Murray, Clough, Connolly
officials: R Abrams, I Harley, P Mawhood

league position: n/a form: LDLLLL next match: Darlington (H)

Report taken from Somerset County Gazette

Taunton pulled off a stunning turn-around to beat Blue Square Premier side Bath City 2-1 in the Somerset Premier Cup last night. Among a number of personnel changes from Saturday’s defeat to Gosport, the most eye-catching was Paul West’s enforced decision to start with Craig Veal in goal. While the striker’s contribution between the sticks was admirable – as it was on the two occasions he was forced to stand-in last season – his main contribution was to slam home the penalty eight minutes from time that got Town back in the game. Aaron Blakemore almost gave Taunton an early lead when he pounced on an error in the heart of the Bath defence, but pulled his shot just wide. As Taunton enjoyed a bright start, Darren Rice was inches away from connecting with a deep Tim Legg free-kick. And Blakemore concluded a promising though fruitless first half by firing into the side netting after another slip in the City defence. Bath made a better start to the second period, and Veal did well to block a fierce drive from former Bristol City wideman Scott Murray. City’s pressure finally paid off just after the hour mark when Josh Egan bundled home a low centre at the far post, injuring himself in the process and being replaced by Marley Watkins. The turning point came ten minutes from time when Jon Vance curled a free-kick against the Bath woodwork. City were clearly rattled and conceded a penalty to substitute Ross MacNab two minutes later, Veal racing upfield to convert. A glorious evening for Taunton was completed by an equally glorious strike from Andy Butler – a half volley that nearly ripped the netting out of the goal at the Town End.