Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 18 October 2011 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-2 attendance: 919

team: Garner, Simpson (Russell 82), Gallinagh, Rollo (c), Jones (Preece 62), Stonehouse (Swallow 67), Connolly, M Canham, Watkins, Phillips, M Canham. subs not used: Cook, Murray.
man of the match: marley Watkins
scorers: none
bookings: Watkins (20), Phillips (71)
officials: A Fearn (Packington), P Lavelle (Totton), D Jacecko (Swindon)

league position: 24th form: LLWLDL next match: Fleetwood Town (A)

Report taken from

A moment of defensive confusion cost Bath City dear as they slumped to their seventh home defeat of an increasingly forlorn season. The home side were still readjusting after losing Gethin Jones to injury when Stockport striker Nick Chadwick was allowed time and space to control a Michael Paton cross, turn and fire home from eight yards. It proved to be enough to deflate a City side, who were just starting to get on top at the time, and the visitors went on to score a second through Paton's 25-yard screamer in injury-time. Charlie Clough's ankle injury, sustained in Saturday's 3-3 draw at Braintree, opened the door for City skipper Jim Rollo to become just the fourth player to make a 450th appearance for the club. Marley Watkins also came into the team to replace Lewis Hogg, who was a surprising omission from the matchday 16. Mark Preece and Ben Swallow also came in from the cold to take their places on the bench.

Stockport - managed by Champions League winner Dietmar Hamann - included loanee Joe Edwards in their starting line-up, the right-back having spent three months at Twerton Park last season. And it was the visitors who almost took the lead with just 34 seconds on the clock as Chadwick pounced on a mistake by Jones and drove into the box but keeper Glyn Garner reacted quickly to block at the former Everton striker's feet. City cleared their heads and got into a couple of good positions but Sean Canham's driven pass was too close to keeper Matt Glennon and Lee Phillips was unable to force home an inviting Paul Stonehouse cross under pressure from Danny O'Donnell. Neither defence was looking particularly certain and Chadwick managed to find space in the City box three times. However, he could not get quite a touch on a dangerous Edwards free-kick, then flicked a header over the bar from a right-wing cross before guiding the ball wide from eight yards out when he should have hit the target. At the other end, a City corner was cleared but worked back out to Marc Canham, whose whipped cross was missed by Sean Canham but hit unsuspecting defender Carl Piergianni and deflected just over the bar. That proved to be the closest City would go during a scrappy first half, which saw neither team able to assume the upper hand or dictate play.

The hosts started the second half in more positive fashion, with Phillips and Sean Canham looking a threat whenever the ball was played forward quickly. Marc Canham was also growing in influence and, moments after trying his luck from 35 yards, almost broke through into the Stockport box. Keeper Glennon raced out to clear the ball as far as Phillips, then got back brilliantly to somehow tip the City striker's goalbound lob around the post. City were well on top but could not take advantage and instead gifted Stockport the initiative in the 63rd minute. A Jones injury meant Mark Preece had to be introduced but, before City had chance to readjust, a Paton cross from the left found Chadwick, who had time to turn and fire home from eight yards. swallow was sent on for the defensive Stonehouse as City went in search of an equaliser and they should have had the chance to level when Stockport defender Piergianni blatantly handled the ball in the box, only for referee Amy Fearn to wave away the appeals. Alex Russell came on to add more attacking impetus but the equaliser would not come, with Rollo going mighty close to a dream goal when Sean Canham nodded the ball across the six-yard box. The City skipper threw himself at the ball but it was just too far in front of him and the chance was gone. Instead, Stockport made the points safe in injury-time when Paton smashed the ball into the top corner from 25 yards.