Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 5 November 2011 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-1 result: D2-2 attendance: 993

team: Garner, Simpson, Gallinagh, Jones (c), Rollo, Watkins (Stonehouse 90), Connolly (Murray 54), M Canham, Hogg, Phillips (Russell 46), S Canham. subs not used: Clough, Cook.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: M Canham (pen 57), S Canham (72)
bookings: Hogg (20), Jones (53), S Canham (77), Simpson (79)
dismissal: M Canham (75)
officials: S Martin (Stafford ), M Eva (Tongham), D Richardson (Epsom)

league position: 24th form: LDLLWD next match: Dag & Redbridge (A)

Report taken from

A brilliant second-half display saw ten-man Bath City battle back from two goals down to earn a point against Grimsby Town in a pulsating Blue Square Bet Premier clash at Twerton Park. Serge Makofo’s strikes in the opening exchanges of each half looked destined to condemn rock-bottom City to another defeat but Marc Canham started the revival from the spot, before later seeing red, while Sean Canham bagged the equaliser.

The hosts started well and quickly had Grimsby on the back foot and it was something of a surprise when the Mariners went ahead. Michael Coulson’s cross to the far post seemed innocuous but the City defence failed to clear when Rob Duffy flicked on, allowing Makofo to cut inside Sekani Simpson and roll the ball under Glyn Garner from close range. The goal failed to spark the game into life, although the visitors could have added a second after further sloppy Bath defending. City were slow to react when clearing another Coulson cross and skipper Craig Disley threaded the ball through to the unmarked Connor Townsend, who could only fire over the crossbar. The closest the home side came to a response in the opening 45 minutes was when Lewis Hogg fired wide ten minutes before the break after a nice interchange between Adam Connolly and Sean Canham as City offered little up front.

Desperately seeking a response, manager Adie Britton rang the changes at the break, hauling off Lee Phillips for Alex Russell, but the substitution failed to have the desired effect as Grimsby doubled their advantage shortly after the restart. Again the home defence failed to deal with a dangerous Coulson ball into the box and Makofo stole a march on Simpson at the far post to head back across goal and into the corner of the net. City’s response, however, was both impressive and immediate. Duffy hauled Gethin Jones down in the box following a Marc Canham corner and when referee Stephen Martin pointed to the spot, the latter powered the penalty past James McKeown. Scott Murray then clipped the Grimsby bar with a cross before a fine Marley Watkins run allowed the hosts to level the scores. The wideman skipped past three Grimsby players on the left before threading a perfectly-weighted ball through to Sean Canham, who lifted over the advancing McKeown from a tight angle. Murray saw a deflected shot flash agonisingly wide of the post as City searched for a third goal but any hopes they had of victory were quashed when Marc Canham was dismissed with 15 minutes remaining. The midfielder was penalised for a high tackle on Disley and even his attempts to pull out of the challenge failed to prevent referee Martin from producing a red card. Liam Hearn then wasted a glorious chance to win the game for the visitors when he headed Coulson’s cross wide from close range, while Andi Thanoj crashed a looping header onto the City crossbar as the hosts held on for a share of the spoils. Following last Saturday’s triumph at Dover Athletic, the draw marks City’s best run of the season as they finally managed to avoid defeat for a second consecutive match and can head into this weekend’s FC Cup trip to free-falling Dagenham & Redbridge with high hopes of extending that to an unprecedented third.