FA Cup 1st Round
Saturday 12 November 2011 - Victoria Road - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: D1-1 attendance: 1225

team: Garner, Simpson, Rollo (Clough 46), Jones (c), Gallinagh, Watkins, Connolly, Burnell, Russell, Cook (Stonehouse 88), S Canham (Phillips 82). subs not used: Matthews, Murray, Preece, Carvalho-Landell.
man of the match: Andy Gallinagh
scorers: S Canham (11)
bookings: none
officials: G Scott, S Artis, M George

league position: n/a form: DLLWDD next match: Southport (A)

Report taken from

A woeful refereeing decision robbed Bath City of a great chance to pull off another FA Cup shock against Football League outfit Dagenham & Redbridge this afternoon. The incensed visitors felt that Daggers keeper Chris Lewington should have been sent off ten minutes into the second half after he brought down Marley Watkins outside the box. However, despite being the last man, Lewington escaped with a yellow card from referee Graham Scott, much to the anger of the entire City contingent. Lewington went on to make a fine save from Gethin Jones in the 90th minute as City were forced to settle for a replay after Sean Canham's early opener was cancelled out before the break by Brian Woodall's well-placed header. City boss Adie Britton made three changes to the team which started last week's comeback draw against Grimsby Town. Two were enforced, with the fit-again Joe Burnell and Alex Russell replacing suspended duo Marc Canham and Lewis Hogg, but the third was a shock as Jamie Cook came in for a rare start at the expense of Lee Phillips. Cook, who last started in the 2-0 home defeat to Tamworth in August, was making his first appearance in the FA Cup since coming on as a substitute for Crawley Town against Manchester United in last season's fifth-round tie.

Dagenham - who included former City striker Phil Walsh in their line-up, albeit at centre-half - started the brighter and Adam Connolly was twice forced to make close-range blocks to prevent the hosts taking the lead from a ninth-minute corner. City had offered little going forward in the opening stages but took an 11th-minute lead courtesy of some woeful defending and a composed finish. Watkins' through-ball found Sean Canham in acres of space and he coolly rolled his shot past the advancing keeper to spark great celebrations, which included a Britton pitch invasion. The Daggers went in search of an instant equaliser but were frustrated by some resilient defending as City stood firm, closing down the home forwards quickly. Keeper Glyn Garner was being well protected but, when he was called into action on the half-hour mark, came up with a stunning reflex save low to his left to prevent Walsh's deflected close-range shot finding the back of the net. There was another major scare for City six minutes before the break when Nurse intercepted a sloppy pass from Gethin Jones and rounded Garner but saw his cross-shot roll virtually along the goalline and past the back post. The pressure told in the 41st minute when Nurse beat Jim Rollo to a loose ball from Alex Russell and floated in a cross from the left, which the unmarked Brian Woodall expertly headed into the top corner past the helpless Garner. The equaliser had been coming and it needed a goalline clearance from Andy Gallinagh with virtually the last kick of the half to ensure City went into the break all square.

The visiting defence had been creaking towards the end of the first half and Britton clearly felt a change was needed to tighten it up, sending the fit-again Charlie Clough on for the second half in place of captain Rollo. And it seemed to work, with City having the better of the opening exchanges. Indeed, they looked certain to take the lead in the 55th minute when Canham's well-judged through-ball sent Watkins racing through on goal. The young winger rounded Lewington and had an open goal to aim at when he was brought down by the Dagenham keeper outside the box. It looked a certain red card but, to City's astonishment, referee Graham Scott instantly produced a yellow instead. Britton was enraged and had to be calmed down by the fourth official, while cries of 'cheat' could be heard from the directors' box as City vented their anger at the decision. The jeers almost turned to cheers moments later when Cook tried his luck with a 35-yard dipping volley which beat Lewington all ends up but dropped on to the roof of the net. That controversial decision from the referee could have inflamed the game but, instead, the intensity dropped and play became scrappy again. Garner had to make two important interceptions in quick succession, while Canham was unfortunate to be flagged offside during a City break. Dagenham manager John Still attempted to shake things up 12 minutes from time, replacing goalscorer Woodall and Scannell with Josh Scott and Dominic Green respectively. Opposite number Britton sent on Phillips in place of Canham, whose last act was to drill in a fierce shot from an acute angle which forced a save from Lewington. Paul Stonehouse also came on for Cook but it was far from a defensive move from Britton, with his side ending the game firmly on the front foot. They had a great chance to win it in the 90th minute when, following a corner, the ball dropped to Jones on the edge of the box but his well-struck shot was parried by Lewington. The two teams will meet again at Twerton Park on Tuesday, November 22, subject to television coverage.