FA Cup 1st Round Replay
Wednesday 23 November 2011 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.15pm
half-time: 0-1 result: L1-3 (aet) attendance: 1704

team: Garner, Simpson, Stonehouse, Connolly, Hogg, Watkins, Burnell (c) (Rollo 95), Russell (Phillips 62), Clough, Gallinagh, S Canham (Murray 90). subs not used: Cook, Matthews, Carvalho-Landell, Preece.
man of the match: Lewis Hogg
scorers: Connolly (71)
bookings: Hogg (117)
officials: I Williamson (Thatcham), T Wood (Quedgeley), A Hopkins (Plymouth)

league position: n/a form: LWDDLL next match: Mansfield Town (H)

Report taken from

Bath City exited the FA Cup in cruel and farcical fashion as Jon Nurse’s extra-time double earned visitors Dagenham & Redbridge a place in the second round. The turning point of the night arrived with 100 minutes on the watch and with the overwhelming majority of the 1,704 fans inside Twerton Park waiting for an offside decision that never came. A through ball to the Daggers striker – who was standing a mile offside – flicked off City skipper Jim Rollo and, as time stood still, he rounded Glyn Garner to give the npower League 1 side the lead for the second time. City had more than matched their visitors throughout and bossed the second period. Adam Connolly’s stunning 70th-minute strike forced extra time and they would have been looking forward to a home date with Walsall – 3-2 winners over Exeter City in tonight’s other replay – had it not been for the brilliance of Daggers keeper Chris Lewington. The clash was screened by ESPN and was Twerton Park’s first live televised occasion since December 1993, when League outfit Hereford United were beaten 2-1 in front of the Sky cameras. Former England wingers Chris Waddle and Steve McManaman, together with ex-Scotland midfielder Craig Burley, formed part of the presenting team and the illustrious trio saw City make the brighter start, with two early corners scrambled clear by the Londoners.

The recalled Hogg produced the game’s first shot on target after a quiet first 14 minutes but failed to properly get hold of his effort under pressure from Abu Ogogo. City looked comfortable, with Sean Canham working the channels well and Alex Russell producing some classy touches behind him, but they fell behind when Dagenham opened the scoring from their first meaningful attack. Full-back Richard Rose found space on the right and sent over an inviting cross that Brian Woodall – the Daggers’ scorer in the first tie 11 days ago – met with a header that looped over the despairing Glyn Garner. City were still getting plenty of change out of a shaky visiting defence, though, and keeper Lewington had to punch clear under pressure from Canham after a header back to him dropped short. Gavin Tomlin dragged a shot wide at the other end after a pacy run at a backpedalling City defence before the Daggers’ first corner of the night was cleared. Marley Watkins had a tame close-range header blocked and Andy Gallinagh and Charlie Clough also had efforts charged down during a scramble before Russell went agonisingly close to equalising on 34 minutes. The veteran midfielder won a free-kick on the left flank before sending a vicious delivery across the face of goal that took a touch off a defender before cannoning off the far post with Lewington beaten all ends up.

Lewington produced his first top-class save of the night early in the second half. Again a Russell set-piece was the source as the Daggers keeper did well to claw Charlie Clough’s well-directed header away from the corner of his net. City’s final ball let them down during a scrappy period and Britton made his first switch just after the hour, with Lee Phillips replacing the influential Russell. Hogg ought to have scored when Burnell picked him out all alone 12 yards out but his fierce effort was too close to Lewington. But the home fans did not have long to wait for something to cheer. Connolly picked up a loose ball 25 yards from goal and unleashed a screamer that flew past Lewington and into the top corner, nearly taking the roof off the Poplar Side in the process. It was no more than City deserved and the stage was set for an exciting final 20 minutes. The visitors began to play with more urgency but lacked quality in the final third and rarely tested Garner. Scott Murray replaced Canham on 90 minutes and the winger twice went close to fashioning a winner in stoppage time. First his right-wing cross drifted inches wide of Lewington’s upright before Rose saved his side with a last-ditch header as Phillips waited to nod home Murray’s centre from the same flank.

The Daggers’ controversial second goal ten minutes after the restart prompted furious protests from Britton and his players but they almost equalised immediately, with Murray’s precise, low 20-yarder being palmed behind by Lewington. The home contingent headed straight for referee Ian Matthews at the mini break but looked a spent force in the final 15 minutes. Murray and Watkins linked up on the edge of the area with seven minutes to go but the latter was foiled by Femi Ilesanmi’s great tackle. As City committed more men to attack, they were caught on the counter and Nurse strode clear of the defence to finish the tie in confident fashion