Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 26 November 2011 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: D1-1 attendance: 816

team: Matthews, Simpson, Gallinagh, Jones (c), Clough, M Canham (Phillips 76), Connolly, Watkins, Hogg, Bryan (Murray 64), S Canham (Amadi-Holloway 75). subs not used: Stonehouse, Russell.
man of the match: Marley Watkins
scorers: Watkins (19)
bookings: M Canham (49), Clough (69)
officials: A Fearn (Packington), M Whaley (Plymouth), A Matthews (Stroud)

league position: 24th form: WDDLLD next match: Cambridge Utd (A)

Report taken from

Bath City were left to wonder how they failed to collect their second league victory of the season after dominating much of their clash with Mansfield Town, with a freak Lindon Meikle goal denying them victory. The home side put their midweek FA Cup heartbreak firmly behind them with an impressive attacking display at Twerton Park but their wastefulness in front of goal saw them fail to add to their solitary Blue Square Bet Premier win of the campaign. Marley Watkins gave Adie Britton’s side the lead when he finished off an impressive counter-attack which he had started himself on the halfway line. However, the Stags drew level when Meikle’s innocuous cross caught Jason Matthews unsighted and floated in at the back post. Try as they might, City could not quite force a winning goal in the second half and their misery was compounded as they fell further adrift at the foot of the table following Alfreton Town’s dramatic 3-2 win at home to Hayes & Yeading.

Following Wednesday’s agonising cup loss at the hands of Dagenham & Redbridge, the home side got off to an impressive start. Debutant Joe Bryan, who alongside second-half substitute Aaron Amadi-Holloway joined on loan from Bristol City on Thursday, lashed against the post after being threaded in by Watkins. Matt Green then looked likely to put the visitors ahead when he beat the home defence to round Matthews and City were relieved to see an offside flag deny the Stags striker. An incisive home breakaway saw them go ahead when Watkins won possession on the halfway line. The winger burst up field before releasing Bryan and when his shot was only parried by Alan Marriott, Watkins drilled the ball home. The lead lasted just five minutes, however, as Mansfield levelled the scores in fortuitous fashion. Meikle set off down the left flank before firing a mishit cross into the box. Green and Anthony Howell were well marshalled by the City defence but the ball eluded Matthews, who had replaced Glyn Garner between the sticks, before nestling in at the back post. The home side did not let the setback dampen their spirits and should have regained the lead before the break. A Marc Canham free-kick was met by the head of skipper Gethin Jones and drifted to Charlie Clough at the back post but he failed to convert from two yards out and the scores were level at the break.

Mansfield had the better of the start of the second half but Green failed to convert two glorious chances from Ross Dyer crosses in the opening exchanges but from then on in, it was all City. The Canham-Jones set-piece combination went close again as the skipper rose to meet a free-kick but his header went just wide, while Watkins missed out on adding a second when his drive from the edge of the box flashed the wrong side of the post. The home side did survive one major scare as the game wore on, though, with Howell easily beating the offside trap to race in at Matthews but he failed to convert a one-on-one chance with the keeper. Scott Murray fired wide before Watkins was denied by Marriott and when Lee Phillips finally did get the ball in the net, he was adjudged to have strayed offside from Murray’s powerful low cross. With the game deep into stoppage time, there was still time for Bath to waste one further chance with the final kick of the game, as Amadi-Holloway volleyed over Lewis Hogg’s pass when well placed. The result summed up what has been a frustrating season so far for City but with a performance as good as this they can head to Cambridge United on Tuesday night high on confidence as they look to add to their solitary league win at home to Darlington in October.