Blue Square Bet Premier
Saturday 3 December 2011 - Twerton Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: W3-1 attendance: 761

team: Matthews, Simpson, Jones (c), Burnell (Clough 70), Gallinagh, Murray (Stonehouse 87), Connolly, Canham, Hogg, Amadi-Holloway (Bryan 61), Phillips. subs not used: Rollo, Stonehouse.
man of the match: Scott Murray
scorers: Own Goal (26), M Canham (pen 55), Bryan (81)
bookings: Gallinagh (90)
officials: M Bull (Chelmsford ), S Phipps (Abingdon), D Cook (Gosport)

league position: 24th form: DLLDDW next match: Kidderminster (A)

Report taken from

After weeks of knocking on the door, Bath City finally picked up their second Blue Square Bet Premier victory of the season thanks to an impressive display against AFC Telford United. The visitors will feel aggrieved with the manner of their defeat - City’s winning goal came from the penalty spot in an incident that also saw Telford skipper Sean Killock dismissed - but they can have few complaints about the result, having been outplayed throughout the 90 minutes. Despite City’s dominance, Scott Murray’s strike looked set to be all that separated the sides at the interval, until the hosts’ rotten luck this season continued when Steve Jones hauled his side level against the run of play just before the whistle. City remained positive after the break, however, with Marc Canham converting a spot-kick to restore the advantage before Joe Bryan sealed the win late on with his first goal for the club.

The hosts got off to a flying start, dominating possession and chances but had little to show for their efforts as Lewis Hogg, Lee Phillips and Aaron Amadi-Holloway all failed to convert promising opportunities. With Lady Luck seemingly smiling anywhere but Twerton Park for much of the current campaign, City finally found fortunes turn in their favour with the opening goal as Murray broke the deadlock with a deflected strike. The winger stumbled during one of his regular forays forward before lying spread-eagled on the turf. The visiting defence failed to clear the danger, though, and when Murray finally got to his feet, the ball fell kindly to him and his 30-yard drive glanced off Ryan Valentine and flew into the bottom corner. Hogg then went close to adding a second, with a goalbound shot cannoning off the boot of Killock and looping over Ryan Young’s crossbar, before disaster struck in the final minute of the half. Having seen little of the home goal for much of the 45 minutes, Telford somehow found themselves level following their only noteworthy attack. Jones caught the City defence napping to collect Sean Newton’s incisive ball, before rounding Jason Matthews and rolling the ball into an empty net.

City failed to give in, however, and, once Matthews had thwarted Jones early in the second period, they lay siege to the Telford goal. Canham went close to restoring the home side’s advantage with a fine strike but Young pulled off a flying save to keep him out. The midfield ace was not to be denied, though, and did put City ahead from the penalty spot. Gethin Jones was brought down in the box by Killock during a corner, with referee Michael Bull awarding a penalty. After visiting players surrounded the officials, Killock was given his marching orders and Canham kept his cool to beat Young with a well-placed spot-kick. City continued to up the ante as the match wore on, with Hogg and Murray going close to adding a third with efforts from distance, before substitute Bryan finally killed the game at the death. The on loan Bristol City youngster collected Sekani Simpson’s throw on the right before racing inside and unleashing a powerful effort from just outside the box which Young could only palm into the bottom corner of the net. Phillips should have added a fourth for the home side in stoppage time but City boss Adie Britton will have few complaints about the result after watching his side pull themselves into a relegation battle, rather than continuing to look certainties for the drop. Although they remain rooted to the foot of the table, defeats for sides above them means City are now just seven points from safety. After collecting five points from three games, Britton will be confident of shortening that gap even further when his side visits Kidderminster Harriers on Tuesday night (7.45pm).