Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 6 December 2011 - Aggborough Stadium - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-2 result: L4-1 attendance: 1472

team: Matthews, Simpson, Gallinagh (Clough 45), Jones (c), Burnell, M Canham, Connolly, Hogg, Murray (Bryan 69), Amadi-Holloway, Phillips (Watkins 69). subs not used: Stonehouse, Russell.
man of the match: Scott Murray
scorers: Murray (5)
bookings: Burnell (45)
officials: to follow

league position: 24th form: LLDDWL next match: Chelmsford City (A)

Report taken from

Three moments of sloppy defending undermined Bath City's hopes of getting the win they needed to climb off the bottom of the Blue Square Bet Premier table. The visitors were the dominant force for the first half-hour but only had a Lee Vaughan own goal to show for their efforts. And they paid the price when Steve Guinan and Jamille Matt struck to put Kidderminster ahead before half-time. The latter made it 3-1 before Jack Bryne completed City's misery with a couple of minutes to go. City boss Adie Britton kept faith with the starting XI which played so well in Saturday's much-needed victory over AFC Telford United, with the fit-again Marley Watkins being named amongst the substitutes.

The visitors arrived at Aggborough looking full of confidence after a three-match unbeaten run and they needed just five minutes to take the lead. Marc Canham shaped to take a free-kick from the edge of the D but instead it was driven through the wall by Scott Murray and took a massive deflection off Harriers defender Vaughan, leaving keeper Tony Breeden totally wrong-footed. The goal gave City even more belief and they went on to dominate the opening quarter of the game, with Murray going mighty close to a second goal after working a yard of space and firing in a lofted shot which dropped just wide. Home captain Luke Jones also had to make a last-ditch block to prevent Lee Phillips tapping home Vaughan's wayward back header from a couple of yards as City applied plenty of pressure, snapping at the heels of the Harriers players whenever they had possession and disrupting their flow. Such was City's superiority that it took 33 minutes for the hosts to put together their attacking move of note. Unfortunately for the visitors, it ended with Kyle Storer whipping in an inviting cross from the right which cleared Joe Burnell and was headed home by Guinan. The goal was cruel on City and it almost got worse five minutes later when the visiting defence were guilty of ball watching from a throw, allowing Guinan's quick flick to find Lee Hendrie in acres of space inside the box. The former England international took a touch to steady himself but then lashed his shot wide of the near post. There was no let-off for the visitors on the stroke of half-time, though, as their defence was caught napping when Tom Sharpe collected a goal-kick and launched a quick ball forward. Matt managed to get a yard of space and raced through on goal before drilling in a low shot which City keeper Jason Matthews did brilliantly to get a hand to. However, he could only watch as the ball trickled in off the far post to somehow put Harriers ahead at half-time.

Both teams made changes for the second period, with Charlie Clough coming on for City left-back Andy Gallinagh and Byrne replacing Harriers goalscorer Guinan, who appeared to have taken a knock. City still looked a little punch-drunk after the end to the first half and made a tentative start to the second period but were given a lift by Matthews' confident handling at the back and a smart nutmeg and shot from Sekani Simpson which forced a block. However, having worked their way back into the game, City then proceeded to shoot themselves in the foot as a simple punt forward by Vaughan found two Harriers forwards wandering through on goal. Matt was one of them and while his initial lob came back off the post, he followed up to bundle home the rebound. With the game slipping away from his team, Britton sought to shake things up by bringing on young wide men Joe Bryan and Watkins for Murray and Phillips, while Marc Williams replaced the disappointing Hendrie for Harriers. Matt thought he would have chance to complete his hat-trick from the spot after Gethin Jones shoved Sharpe over in the box from a free-kick. However, after initially awarding a penalty, referee Darren Handley overturned his decision after consulting with his linesman, who had flagged for offside. The fourth goal did arrive a couple of minutes from time when sub Byrne collected a clearance and found the bottom corner with a fine shot from the edge of the box. Bryan had the chance to pull a consolation goal back in injury-time but failed to make contact with a header from six yards, summing up City's second half showing.