Blue Square Bet Premier
Tuesday 27 March 2012 - Twerton Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L0-1 attendance: 565

team: Garner, Simpson, Gallinagh (Watkins 55), Preece, Burnell (c), Murray (Hogg 75), Connolly, M Canham, Russell (Egan 88), Stonehouse, Cook. subs not used: Smith, Rollo.
man of the match: Paul Stonehouse
scorers: none
bookings: none
officials: M Bull (Chelmsford), S Finch (Marchwood), B Knight (Waterlooville)

league position: 24th form: LWWLLL next match: Fleetwood Town (H)

Report taken from

Bath City produced a much-improved display compared to their dismal showing at Stockport on Saturday but still succumbed to a 12th home defeat of the season. Patrick McLaughlin's quality finish five minutes into the second half was enough to send an unimpressive York City side home with three points. Despite operating at opposite ends of the table, there was little to choose between the two teams but the home side rarely looked like converting their decent territory into a goal, although Marley Watkin had a backheel cleared off the line in injury-time. Adie Britton made three changes to the team which slumped 4-0 at Stockport, two of which were enforced due to Gethin Jones' illness and Sean Canham's hamstring strain. Lewis Hogg dropped to the bench with Jamie Cook, Alex Russell and Sekani Simpson coming into the starting XI.

Both teams needed maximum points, with City trying to stave off the drop for a bit longer and York looking to boost their play-off ambitions, but neither posed much threat during a goalless first half. It had all the feeling of a friendly - some decent football but little cut and thrust, with nothing to really get the pulse racing. The only two shots of note were smashed over the bar by York's Matthew Blair and City's Scott Murray. On a positive note for City, they more than matched their high-flying visitors and arguably got into the better positions without producing much of an end product.

The game needed a goal and got it five minutes into the second period. Simpson attempted to win possession but was beaten to the ball, allowing McLaughlin to surge into the space left by the full-back before drilling a fine shot into the bottom corner of the net. Reed almost doubled the lead moments later after outpacing the City defence to get onto a long ball forward but Glyn Garner did well to hold the shot. Britton made an attacking change in the 55th minute, sending on Watkins for left-back Andy Gallinagh, and it almost had an immediate effect as the winger easily beat Jon Challinor before picking out Murray, whose well-struck half-volley just cleared the bar. Murray was replaced by Hogg with 15 minutes to go as City continued to search for an equaliser but, despite again getting into decent positions, they struggled to produce a shot on target. They had to wait until the dying minutes to do so, with Adam Connolly having a close-range effort blocked during a melee and Watkins seeing a clever backheel cleared off the line by James Meredith.