Blue Square Bet South
Tuesday 21 August - Mayday Trust Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 2-0 result: W3-1 attendance: 587

team: Garner, Simpson, Brown (Morgan 15 (Keats 75)), Jones (c), Preece, Rollo (Ball 9), Connolly, Harris, Griffin, Guthrie, Low. subs not used: Cummings, Norris.
man of the match: Kurtis Guthrie
scorers: Guthrie (6,36,78)
bookings: Jones (13), Guthrie (29)
officials: S Knapp (Bristol), S Oakey (Cheltenham), S Wales (Tewkesbury)

league position: 4th form: ----DW next match: Havant (H)

Report taken from

Teenage striker Kurtis Guthrie was the toast of Mayday Park last night after scoring a hat-trick on his home debut. Bath City's performance may not have entirely wiped out the memory of those painful home defeats of last season but as the chants and cheers rang out around Mayday Park you feel it has already gone some way towards potentially making this a season to which the fans can now look forward.

It took 19-year-old Guthrie just seven minutes to get his name on the score sheet. As United gave away the ball Aaron Brown pounced down the left before delivering an inch-perfect cross for Guthrie to head home. The goal clearly rocked the visitors to the extent that they were not to draw a save from Glyn Garner in the City goal until the dying seconds of the first half. But City had their own problems to worry about. First of all, Jim Rollo gingerly left the field just two minutes after the goal was scored to be replaced by Danny Ball. Some six minutes later, Brown then followed him to be replaced by Kerry Morgan, with both players suffering from groin strains. Despite this and having to move from a 3-5-2 formation to a more conservative 4-4-2, it did little to diminish City’s thirst for the contest. Twice Charlie Griffin spurned opportunities, both times putting the ball wide. Then Guthrie broke free after a good move started by Low and Kerry Morgan only to foul Derek Duncan in the visitors defence as he stretched for the ball. Despite this it was Morgan who was to lay on City’s and Guthrie’s second. The diminutive winger picked up the ball in midfield and outran the visitors defence only to cut inside from the edge of the eighteen-yard box and with an inch-perfect deft cross supplied the ball for Guthrie to head City further in front. If nothing else it served to wake Maidenhead up and in the closing stages of the half Reece Tison-Lascaris put in a curving shot that Garner at full stretch did well to turn around the upright.

It was undoubtedly a sign of things to come as in the second period the visitors suddenly began to piece together some more threatening attacks. Tisson-Lascaris saw a shot tipped over the cross bar as did Duncan from a free kick on the right. Gethin Jones and Sekani Simpson both had to put in crunching tackles to keep the Berkshire side at bay. Finally, the City walls were eventually breached and in a fashion somewhat reminiscent of last season. A corner from the right was played into the box only for Daniel Brown, Maidenhead’s captain, to rise unmarked and head home. In the past this has so often been the cue for a nervy final twenty minutes. Fortunately for City, two players knew nothing of this history. In the 75th minute development squad player Noah Keats was brought on to replace Morgan who limped from the pitch with a dead leg. Again it was a substitution that, although forced, was to prove decisive. Keats, within minutes of being on the pitch, ran through the middle before releasing a pass for the willing Guthrie. As the keeper advanced off his line the youngster lobbed the ball for his debut hat-trick, much to his obvious delight, and that of the Mayday Park crowd.