Blue Square Bet South
Monday 27 August 2012 - The Avenue Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: L1-2 attendance: 559

team: Garner, Simpson, Burnell (Keats 72), Jones, Preece, Ball, Connolly, Harris (Canham 75), Guthrie, Griffin, Low (Morgan 73). subs not used: Norris, Cummings.
man of the match: Adam Connolly
scorers: Griffin (13)
bookings: Guthrie (46), Keates (86)
officials: D Cook (Gosport)

league position: 3rd form: --DWWL next match: Billericay Town (H)

Report taken from

It was, as Bath City boss Adie Britton readily confessed after this game, something of a rude awakening for his side as they conceded two second-half goals at Dorchester to slip to their first defeat of the season. It was a result that never looked likely for the first hour as City confidently stroked the ball around the Avenue Stadium.

Certainly Dorchester began as if they meant this to be a competitive encounter, with Ashley Nichols getting a booking for fouling Kurtis Guthrie after just 12 seconds. However, after that the home side struggled to find their cutting edge as they were left chasing shadows for the remainder of the first half. One such moment came on 12 minutes. A move begun by Adie Harris in his own half saw him exchange passes with Danny Ball and Adam Connolly before being upended by former City player Charlie Clough some 20 yards from goal. From the free-kick, Josh Low ran over the ball leaving Charlie Griffin to curve it past Jason Matthews in the Dorchester goal. The ex-City keeper, diving to his left, could only knock the ball onto his post before it rebounded into the net. From then on City flattered to deceive. A good cross into the box saw Guthrie only inches away from heading home, while Griffin was equally close to getting a toe on Connolly's through ball. The closest Dorchester came was nine minutes before the interval when a powerful shot from Jamie Reed was parried into the path of Ben Watson. He went over the keeper and, as the City fans held their breath fearing a penalty, was booked for diving.

The second half was just six minutes old when an inch-perfect pass from Harris picked out Guthrie, whose shot on the turn was narrowly wide. But just when it looked as if the visitors were going to coast to their third victory in a row came the double whammy, both of them goals that resurrected ghosts from last season as they arose from defendable set pieces. The first on the hour mark came when City conceded a free-kick some 22 yards out and slightly to the right of centre. Ashley Nicholls swung the ball across the defence and Nathan Walker rose to head the ball onto the cross bar. Glyn Garner looked to have it covered but as the ball dropped, it somehow squirmed through his hands and into the goal. Before City could recover, they went behind from another set piece, although this time from somewhat closer to the touch line. Nicolls swept the ball to his left and an unmarked Neil Martin fired along the ground to score under Garner's body. They were blows from which the visitors were never to recover and, as the game closed, it was an increasingly weary and desperate looking City that struggled to regain the advantage they had enjoyed in the first half. A cross by Ball was touched over the cross bar by Matthews and substitute Kerry Morgan fired high and wide from a good position. In the end it was Dorchester who had the best of the closing chances as Reid's was deflected behind by Gethin Jones and then Garner struggled to get to a back pass from his skipper before Watson closed him down. As captain Jones commented after the game: "If some of us thought we were going to walk this league then today was definitely a kick in the behind. Perhaps we needed it."