Pre-Season Friendly
Tuesday 31 July 2012 - Mayday Trust Park - kick off 7.30pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L1-3 attendance: 558

team: Garner (Mellor 45), Simpson (Cummings 45), A Brown (Burnell 45), Jones (c) (C Brown 73), Preece, Ball (Rollo 45), Connolly (Keats 62), Canham (Kapika 70), Griffin (Klein-Davies 45), Morgan (Harris 45), Low (Norris 66). subs not used: none
man of the match: Mark Preece
scorers: Harris (60)
bookings: none
officials: M Veater, J Bishop, K Williams

league position: n/a form: -WDDLL next match: Clevedon Town (A)

Report taken from

Pre-season friendlies rarely foretell much about the contest yet to come, although undoubtedly at half time it would have been City boss Adie Britton who would have gained the most comfort from his sides’s performance. That they had held Burnley’s first team squad for forty five minutes to a goalless draw was a considerable achievement, given that the Lancastrians will start the season in the Championship, four leagues above Bath City. “We were fairly apprehensive about playing a side from the Championship”, commented Britton “because they have that extra quality.There is always a fear in the back of your mind that if they score a couple early on they could get six or seven. It might appear meaningless but such a result can hit your confidence. That didn’t happen to us and it was a good performance”.

True in that first period Burnley had the lion’s share of chances as Danny Ings twice headed wide, whilst Junior Stanislas sliced a ball round the upright, and Danny Lafferty and Charlie Austin fired over the cross bar . Yet City for several parts of the first period, matched their opponents at least in skill if not in goalmouth threat. They won the first corner of the game when former Darlington player and trialist Aaron Brown raced down the left and Charlie Griffin was unlucky early on not to get a better return pass from Adam Connolly as the players tried to execute a one-two close to goal.

Half time saw a flurry of substitutes as City made six changes to their line up and within ten minutes they went a goal down. Keith Tracey from around twenty five yards out unleashed a dipping shot that squirmed under substitute keeper Jason Mellor’s body. There then followed a period of pure farce. With Kieran Trippier injured after a sharp tackle Burnley decided to use the interruption to change their entire outfield squad. When the referee whistled for the restart he indicated that substitute Adie Harris should pass the ball back to the opposition from the half way line. Harris’s over enthusiastic punt surprised everybody as it sailed past keeper Brian Jensen to a chorus of boos from the considerable travelling contingent of supporters. With Harris still protesting his innocence Burnley restarted the game with City returning the compliment in allowing the visitors to send the ball towards their own goal. However, clearly Mellor had not been told what was happening and stopped the ball, somewhat bemusedly, with his legs. It was then left to Burnley’s George Porter to step forward and tap it into the net thereby restoring equilibrium. Burnley then added a third in the closing minutes of the game when Ross Wallace cut inside to shoot beyond the reach of Mellor. Yet the final period belonged to members of the City Development Squad. Noah Keats and Cameron Brown particularly standing out with some dashing runs against the visitors defence.

It was a performance that left City boss Adie Britton purring with pleasure. “I was particularly pleased when we brought on some of our development squad eighteen year olds. I have been here seven years and this is the first time we have had meaningful youngsters of quality who could threaten to get into the first team. Their performances coming on against a championship side must be heartening for our future.”