Blue Square Bet South
Saturday 1 September 2012 - Mayday Trust Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-0 result: W2-1 attendance: 616

team: Garner, Preece (Morgan 61), Burnell, Jones (c), Simpson, Low (Keats 14), Canham, Connolly, Brown (Ball 66), Guthrie, Griffin. subs not used: Morgan, Cummings.
man of the match: Sekani Simpson
scorers: Griffin (39,70)
bookings: Guthrie (45), Garner (58)
officials: S Daly (Stanwell Moor), C Evans (Ealing), D McEllin

league position: 1st form: -DWWLW next match: Salisbury City (A)

Report taken from

Charlie Griffin grabbed a goal in each half as Bath City overcame Billericay Town to climb to the top of the Blue Square Bet South table. Glenn Poole briefly levelled the scores with a second-half penalty but City recovered to make it three wins from three at Mayday Trust Park during the fledgling campaign. Following Salisbury City’s defeat at Chelmsford Town, Adie Britton’s side now lead the way at the top on goal difference ahead of Dorchester Town, the only side to beat them this season, and Salisbury.

The home side were on top from the off and only a goalline clearance from Billericay captain Rob Swaine prevented Kurtis Guthrie giving them the lead inside two minutes. Griffin continually caused problems for visiting goalkeeper Dale Brightly and the only negative for City was the early departure of Josh Low through injury. Sekani Simpson’s timely intervention denied Alex Osborn a chance during a rare Billericay attack before Griffin gave the home side the lead six minutes before the break. Adam Connolly played a superb long ball over the top and Griffin outpaced Swaine before lifting the ball over the advancing Brightly from the edge of the box. The solitary strike was enough to give City the lead at the interval and they quickly picked up where they left of once play resumed.

Guthrie’s trickery brought a clumsy challenge from Swaine in the box, although only a goal kick was awarded by referee Stephen Daly, and a powerful Griffin strike needed Chris Wild’s block to keep it out. Bath were made to pay for their failure to make their openings count when Glyn Garner gifted Billericay the chance to level the scores just before the hour mark. The City stopper raced from his line but was beaten to the ball by Marc Charles-Smith and only succeeded in hauling him to the floor, allowing Poole to fire home the resulting spot-kick. The hosts were not to be denied their victory, however, and Griffin restored their advantage with a brilliant effort ten minutes later. The striker collected Kerry Morgan’s pass 25 yards from goal before making room for himself and curling an unstoppable shot past Brightly and into the top corner. Swaine missed a glorious chance to make it 2-2, heading over Duran Reynolds’ cross when left unmarked before an offside flag denied City a third when Guthrie converted Morgan’s delivery. Only a fingertip save from Brightly then denied Griffin a hat-trick with a curling free-kick from the edge of the box before one final chance game and went for Guthrie. Nathan Green’s clearance ricocheted off Griffin and into his strike partner’s path but Guthrie could not convert after advancing one-on-one with Brightly. The miss counted for little, though, as the final whistle sounded soon after to send City to the summit of the standings. And Britton’s side could yet strengthen their position further when they travel to third-placed Salisbury on Tuesday (7.45pm).