Blue Square Bet South
Tuesday 4 September 2012 - The Raymond McEnhill Stadium - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-2 result: L2-3 attendance: 857

team: Mellor, Simpson (Cummings 13), Burnell (Morgan 41), Preece, Jones (c), Ball, Connolly, Canham (Norris 80), Guthrie, Griffin, Keats. subs not used: Garner, Hailston.
man of the match: Noah Keats
scorers: Griffin (16), Keats (76)
bookings: Jones (38), Preece (45), Keats (65), Cummings (90)
officials: C Powell (Oakdale), M Rushton (Enford), S Woodley (Shipton Bellinger)

league position: 6th form: DWWLWL next match: Bromley (A)

Report taken from

Bath City missed out on the chance to return to the top of the Blue Square Bet South standings after defeat in a thrilling clash at Salisbury.

The home side started much the brighter in the clash of two of the seasonís early front-runners and got their just reward after just six minutes. Brian Dutton turned Danny Ball on the left and his inch-perfect cross gave Jamie White the chance to fire past debutant City keeper Jason Mellor, who replaced Glyn Garner between the posts. Injury-hit City then suffered further problems when Sekani Simpson limped from the pitch after 12 minutes to be replaced by summer signing from Neath Luke Cummings. Somehow the visitors pulled themselves back into the game from virtually their first attack, former Salisbury player Charlie Griffin equalising from close range when he got on the end of a Cummings cross. The sides matched each other until six minutes before the interval when the home side restored their advantage. A long ball downfield by former City man Callum Hart picked out White. His cross saw Mellor come off his line and miss the ball and, as Gethin Jones tried desperately to get back, the centre-back handled in the area. Daniel Fitchett easily converted the resulting spot-kick.

Cityís woes then further deepened when Joe Burnell limped out of the action and Salisbury began the second half, adding a third goal in the 56th minute. Captain Dutton received the ball on the edge of the 18-yard box and put a perfect volley the ball beyond Mellorís reach. However, the visitors refused to give in and with 15 minutes to go substitute Noah Keats pulled a goal back with a stunning strike from 25 yards. Despite pressing in the closing stages and Emmanuel Udoji clearing the ball off the home line, it was Salisbury who ended the game victorious to claim top spot in the table.