Blue Square Bet South
Saturday 13 October 2012 - Mayday Trust Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 2-2 result: L2-3 attendance: 720

team: Garner, Jones (c), Brown, Hooman, Burnell, Ball (Norris 89), Connolly, Allen, S Canham, Keats (Low 76), Morgan (cummings 51). subs not used: M Canham, Rollo.
man of the match: Chris Allen
scorers: Allen (13), S Canham (42)
bookings: Hooman (88)
officials: P Harris (Maidstone), M Goldsmith (Hastings), A Bakalarz (Bromley)

league position: 20th form: WdLDLL next match: Tonbridge Angels (A)

Report taken from

In Lee Howells' first match as head coach, Bath City were denied a point by a controversial late penalty after an entertaining match against Hayes & Yeading United. The hosts had to twice come from behind to level the scores in the first half and had the better of the second period before the late drama at Mayday Trust Park.

City had the first chance when Kerry Morgan was fouled just outside the box in the second minute but his free-kick went well over. The visitors were dangerous in attack and opened the scoring in the seventh minute when Dan Wishart crossed from the left and Luke Williams touched the ball into the path of Manny Williams to score from close range. City survived a busy few minutes in defence before levelling the scores on 13 minutes when Aaron Brown's diagonal ball was headed down by Sean Canham, Adam Connolly's volley came down off the underside of the bar and Chris Allen got to the ball first to find the net. United looked slightly the more likely to score again but City were still a threat and Canham volleyed straight at the keeper from a Brown cross. The visitors restored their lead after 33 minutes when Wishart again got past City right-back Gethin Jones and his cross was converted by Jerome Anderson after a clever dummy from Luke Williams. Jones went close to equalising when he got on the end of a Connolly free-kick but City were soon level again when Brown laid the ball back to Joe Burnell and his cross was met by a diving header from Canham, with the ball hitting the inside of the post before creeping over the line. Hayes nearly got a third just before half-time when Luke Williams got to the byline and pulled the ball back to Manny Williams but his shot was deflected wide.

Glyn Garner had to make a great save to prevent a Hayes goal two minutes after the break as Wishart sent in a powerful free-kick from 30 yards but both defences had tightened up for the second half. Each team made a change as Luke Cummings came on for Morgan and Kudos Oyenuga replaced John Goddard for Hayes, while City went close through a Burnell volley which was deflected wide. The hosts enjoyed a good spell but chances were few and far between as several corners and free-kicks from Brown failed to produce an opportunity. Wishart nearly conjured up a goal for United, bringing the ball into the box and shooting from 12 yards but debutant Harry Hooman deflected the ball over. Manny Williams also had a good chance for the visitors but sent his shot across the keeper and wide. Josh Low came off the bench for the hosts and injected some extra purpose going forward but City survived a dangerous Luke Williams free-kick at the other end. Just as it seemed that both sides were starting to settle for the draw, City were dealt a cruel blow when Harry Hooman's challenge on Wishart on the side of the box was deemed a foul and the spot-kick was converted by Oyenuga in the 89th minute. City tried to push on in the closing stages but were not able to create another chance.