Blue Square Bet South
Saturday 5 January 2013 - The Camrose - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 1-1 result: L1-2 attendance: 391

team: Mellor, Ball (Simpson 83), Brown, Preece, Jones (c), Connolly, Keats, Burnell (Griffin 78), Allen, Nichols, Low (Morgan 75). subs not used: M Canham, Hailston.
man of the match: Dan Ball
scorers: Low (1)
bookings: Nichols (57)
officials: C Hicks

league position: 17th form: WLDLLL next match: Weston SM (A)

Report taken from

Bath City were unable to build on a dream start given to them by Josh Low in the opening minute as two Delano Sam-Yorke goals condemned them to defeat at Basingstoke Town. The visitors, who had played just once since December 15 due to the weather, flew out of the traps and were ahead inside 37 seconds. Full-back Dan Ball was allowed to charge down the Basingstoke right and cut inside Matt Warner before rolling the ball back to Low, whose shot lacked power but was perfectly placed beyond keeper Ashley Bayes' reach. It could have been 2-0 a couple of minutes later when the home defence gave Tom Nichols acres of space on the edge of the box, allowing him to chest the ball down and hit a stinging shot on the turn which Bayes did well to parry. Basingstoke's back line did not look happy when players were running at them and Ball - who signed on contact for City yesterday - took full advantage, making a number of direct surges which caused the home side plenty of problems. One such thrust through the middle resulted in four Basingstoke defenders being drawn to Ball, meaning he could find Low totally unmarked in the box. However, the winger had to take a couple of touches before shooting and his goalbound effort was deflected behind for a corner. That block was to prove doubly important as, within a minute, Basingstoke drew level. Mark Preece misjudged a bouncing ball and was muscled out of the way by Sam-Yorke, whose shot went through keeper Jason Mellor and into the net. It was a disappointing goal to concede and it could have got worse for City six minutes later when Sills touched a cross on to Sam-Yorke, whose thumping half-volley fizzed just over the bar. Low had an even better chance at the other end soon after as a slick passing move ended with the winger being clean through on goal but, with defender Robbie Rice rushing back to apply some pressure, he fired his shot against the outside of the post. That was to be Rice's last major contribution to the game as he picked up a knock and had to be replaced by Nathan Smart three minutes before half-time.

If the opening stages of the first period were all action, the start of the second half was anything but and it took until the 57th minute before there was a moment of note, with City keeper Mellor throwing himself to his right to parry Warner's curling free-kick. There was a great chance at the other end soon after when, in attempting to clear a through pass, defender Jay Gasson teed the ball up for Noah Keats but the City man could not get his shot away and the danger was cleared. Both defences were looking unconvincing and Sam-Kelly was presented with a sight of the City goal moments later but captain Gethin Jones came to the rescue with a wonderful point-blank block. Basingstoke made a second change, sending on Jordace Holder-Spooner for Shaun Macauley, while City took off the tiring Low and replaced him with Kerry Morgan. But he had been on the pitch a matter of seconds when Basingstoke took the lead. Simon Dunn's cutback appeared to hit the hand of Preece but, while referee Craig Hicks was waving the penalty appeals away, Sam-Yorke played on and smashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net. City were now staring defeat in the face and made an attacking change, with striker Charlie Griffin coming on for the defensive Joe Burnell, but it was Basingstoke who were doing the pressing and Mellor had to make a great save to prevent Sam-Yorke putting the hosts 3-1 up. Fit-again Sekani Simpson came on Ball in the last ten minutes but City did not look like equalising as Basingstoke recorded back-to-back league wins for the first time this season.