Blue Square Bet South
Tuesday 5 February 2013 - Cherrywood Road - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 326

team: Mellor, Simpson, Ball, Burnell, Jones (c), Preece, Keates, Canham, Allen (Morgan 86), Chamberlain (Norris 86), Griffin (Connolly 73). subs not used: Brown.
man of the match: Elliott Chamberlain
scorers: Chamberlain (78)
bookings: none
officials: C Brook

league position: 11th form: LWLDLW next match: Boreham Wood (A)

Report taken from

Loan signing Elliott Chamberlain struck 12 minutes from time to earn Bath City a morale-boosting victory at Cherrywood Road. City’s success – only their second in their last ten matches – propelled them seven places up the Blue Square Bet South table and away from the relegation places.

The visitors went into the match on the back of a dour 1-0 defeat at home to Staines Town – a result that raised questions about the future of head coach Lee Howells - but in the first half demonstrated everything they lacked on Saturday. They pressed well in midfield, had the best of the chances and kept the division’s third-highest scorers quiet. Their best chance came on 20 minutes when Noah Keats flicked the ball on to Chamberlain, whose shot was turned round the post by loanee Farnborough keeper Jordan Clement. From the resulting corner, Mark Preece rose above the defence but his header was cleared off the line by Olly Treacher with Clement beaten. As City pressed, even Sekani Simpson got in the act with a long-range shot that sailed narrowly wide. Five minutes before the interval, a dipping Charlie Griffin shot only cleared the crossbar by a couple of feet. Farnborough’s chances were few and far between, with forward Dave Tarpey frequently caught offside and leading scorer Reece Connolly looking strangely subdued.

The second half looked as though it would be a different story, though, as the hosts poured forwards in numbers. Twice Dan Bennett had shots saved by Jason Mellor, one from point-blank range on 70 minutes. Gethin Jones also blocked a shot from Reece Connolly before Bennett’s dipping volley came back off the crossbar. With the visitors looking in real danger of conceding, they conjured up the winner at the other end with 12 minutes remaining. A long ball downfield was picked up by Chamberlain, who ran on well before seeing his first shot stopped by Inman’s feet with Clement off his line. The Exeter youngster made no mistake with his second attempt, sliding the ball home to register his first goal in City colours.