Blue Square Bet South
Saturday 9 February 2013 - Meadow Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D0-0 attendance: 207

team: Mellor, Simpson, Ball, Jones (c), Preece, Keats, Burnell (Morgan 72), Canham, Allen, Chamberlain, Connolly. subs not used: Walker, Griffin, Brown, Norris.
man of the match: Jason Mellor
scorers: none
bookings: none
officials: M Blackledge, S Barry, P Evans

league position: 12th form: WLDLWd next match: Dorchester Town (H)

Report taken from

A fine goalkeeping performance from Jason Mellor helped Bath City stretch their unbeaten away run to four games during a low-key encounter at Boreham Wood. Mellor's outstanding first-half save to deny Michael Thalassitis was the highlight of a resolute display from City, who had some decent possession but failed to test home keeper James Russell once during the game.

Apart from an Elliott Chamberlain curler which didn't have quite enough bend on it, the opening stages were all about Boreham Wood with both Mark Preece and Gethin Jones forced to make fine clearing headers. Right-winger Graeme Montgomery was also causing problems and his dangerous cross was glanced wide by Thalassitis before he fired a shot straight at Mellor. The City keeper also had to come to his side's rescue with a smart block at Loick Pires' feet after the Wood striker had got goalside of a ponderous Preece. But Mellor's best moment came in the 20th minute when he threw himself full-stretch to somehow claw away a curling Thalassitis shot which seemed destined for the top corner of the net. The game was even for the next 20 minutes or so but there was another escape for the visitors in the closing stages of the half as Thalassitis pulled the ball back to an unmarked Montgomery, who rolled his shot wide of the far post.

Wood went close again in the opening minute of the second half as Mellor reacted slowly to a Thalassitis shot but got down just in time to push it around his near post. Preece also had to make a good challenge as Thalassitis threatened to break through but, apart from those openings, it was City who looked the better side in the second half - albeit without creating a single chance of note. With that lack of creativity in mind, City made an attacking change with 18 minutes to go as - following a word of advice to the bench from director of football Adie Britton - winger Kerry Morgan was introduced for holding midfielder Joe Burnell. wood had made their own change eight minutes earlier and substitute Lewis Toomey thought he had given the home side the lead but his close-range header was quickly ruled out for offside. Morgan had his own chance to cause a threat when he was gifted possession by the Wood defence but the winger's second touch put the ball straight into touch, with the advertising hoarding feeling the brunt of the substitute's frustration. City did not threaten after that but Mellor continued his fine form at the other end, tipping a 90th-minute header from Thalassitis onto the bar to ensure his side went home with a point.