Somerset Premier Cup Quarter Final
Tuesday 26 February 2013 - Mayday Trust Park - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W2-0 attendance: 179

team: Mellor, Bowman, Mitchell, Shipp, Jones (c) (Ball 72), Harrison, Low (Knowles 62), Ferguson, Griffin, Norris (Morgan 82), Lennox. subs not used: Hopkinson, Babbatundi.
man of the match: Joe Lennox
scorers: Lennox (66), Griffin (81)
bookings: none
officials: M Lawrence, C Scriven, J Stimpson

league position: n/a form: dLWWDW next match: Dover Ath (A)

Report by Louis Mancini

Joe Lennox and Charlie Griffin both scored second half goals to seal Bath a place in the Somerset Cup Semi-Final with a 2-0 win over local rivals Odd Down at Mayday Trust Park. A cold Tuesday evening at Mayday Trust Park hosted a comfortable 2-0 win for the hosts as they progressed to the last four of the Somerset Premier Cup. Bath the twenty two time winners were firm favorites in the ĎEl Bathicoí, and ran out deserved winners against a physical Odd Down team. Bath played a mixed strength team for the game, including first team keeper, Jason Mellor, Charlie Griffin, Josh Low, Gethin Jones and Kerry Morgan and Dan Ball who came on as second half substitutes. Bath gave a start to newly signed Joe Lennox, who was recently released from Plymouth Argyle, Lennox spent one month at Bath in March 2011. Lennox hasnít signed a contract yet with the club, but put in a sterling performance last night. Odd Down named a fairly physical team to tackle Bath, and it included former trialist, Josh Klein-Davies, who was unsuccessful in gaining a contract at the club, and he looked to have it in for the Bath team. Odd Down named keeper, Jez Hare in goal, ahead of City loanee, Lewis Pierre.

With a cold breeze coming across the ground, the game kicked off. Odd Down were the quickest off the mark and Twaine Plummer raced through on the left hand wing, before cutting in to the box, but his effort was no trouble to Mellor, and the ball went on to hit the corner flag and stay in play. The hosts knew they were going to have to work for their win, and the following ten minutes were scrappy, with the ball spending most of the time in the air. On 12 minutes Bath had their first meaningful attack, with Brad Norris breaking through on the left hand side, he worked himself into a good position before firing the ball narrowly wide of the far post. Odd Down then woke up to the pressure from Bath and had their spell of dominance, however failed to make any meaningful attacks on goal. With 23 minutes gone, Brad Norris attempted to reach a searching through ball along the slick deck, but the his resulting shot was well met by the oncoming Jez Hare, and it rebounded of the striker for a goal kick. Minutes later Odd Down were on the attack and although the offside flag was raised, the effort was acrobatically saved by Jason Mellor, who hadnít seen the offside flag. Odd Down were looking susceptible on the break and were almost caught out on 27 minutes as Joe Lennox was aware to the opportunity, but Hare was able to just about get to the ball before Lennox. Odd Down were doing brilliantly with their build up play, but failing to find the next, and it showed again on 35 minutes, as Twaine Plummer got in on the right, but his shot from a tight angle went over the bath end bar. Lennox was proving a big threat in the Bath side, and his cross found Norris who hit the ball on target but was blocked by the leg of the defender. The last few minutes of the half went by fairly uneventful, apart from on 43 minutes, Josh Klein-Davies appeared to kick out at Bath captain Gethin Jones after a tackle, but it went unnoticed seemingly only by the officials. The last attack of the half fell to Brad Norris as his run on the right opened up an opportunity to shoot, but it went out for a goal kick, and the teams went in goalless.

With the whistle bang on time, Bath got the play underway. Bath looked the stronger after the break and on 46 minutes a good short ball from Low to Griffin presented a shooting opportunity, but Griffin looked to scoop the ball up for a volley, but it was intercepted before contact could be made. Just a minute later Bath looked to be on to a clear opening when Griffin raced clear but a dubious flag was raised for offside. Bath were all steam ahead and appeared to be ahead on 50 minutes as Griffin headed the ball goalwards from a cross, the ball appeared to be over the line but Joanna Stimpson ruled the ball didnít cross the line, and Odd Down were off the hook. Bath went close again on 54 minutes as a Josh Low corner was met by Jonesí head and the ball narrowly went on to the top of the net from a looping header. Klein-Davies was the talking point once again, 3 minutes later as he went in with a very high boot on Gethin Jones and caught the Welsh defender, and the referee saw it this time, but was let off the hook. On 66 minutes Bath finally took the lead, Joe Lennox received the ball on the edge of the box, and skillfully allowed for a one two with griffin and the return allowed Lennox to slot the ball into the net and send Bath 1-0 up. Odd Down looked a tired side in the final 20 minutes, Josh Klein-Davies failed to reach a through ball that was gathered by Mellor, in what was one of their last chances. On 79 minutes, it was 2-0 as Griffin got space on the left hand side of the box and his left footed drive went through the legs of Hare and nestled in to the net, effectively ending the tie. Bath deservedly got their comfortable win against a tired and skillfully lacking Odd Down team, who can take a few positives from the game.