Blue Square Bet South
Saturday 9 March 2013 - The Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: L1-2 attendance: 340

team: Mellor, Simpson, Brown, Ball, Jones (c), Canham (Low 75), Connolly, Keats, Griffin, Charles, Morgan (Lennox 85). subs not used: Knowles, Preece.
man of the match: Jason Mellor
scorers: Griffin (72)
bookings: none
officials: A Coggins, A Bayliss, R Cox

league position: 16th form: WDWLLL next match: Chelmsford City (H)

Report taken from

Bath City are looking anxiously over their shoulders at the Blue Square Bet South relegation zone after their poor run of away results continued on Saturday. The defeat to AFC Hornchurch – second from bottom at the start of play – was City’s third on the road in the space of eight days and leaves them 16th in the table. Charlie Griffin’s 16th goal of the season cancelled out Martin Tuohy’s 68th-minute opener for the hosts but Lewis Smith’s winner secured Hornchurch’s first victory of 2013.

The match went ahead on a difficult surface following a 9am inspection and City started well. Griffin hit the bar with a looping second-minute header, with the ball rebounding kindly for Hornchurch keeper Joe Woolley. After Kieron St Aimie had a penalty shout for handball turned down for the hosts, Woolley was forced into action again as he turned a shot from City new boy Ryan Charles around a post. The keeper then saved at the feet of Griffin before opposite number Jason Mellor pushed an effort from Tuohy behind. Defender Dan Ball was the second City player to strike the woodwork, with Woolley again in the right place to gather his fierce shot after it cannoned off the inside of the post.

The hosts had much the better of the second period, though, and piled on the pressure as City struggled to repeat their efforts of the opening 45 minutes. St Aimie fired wide after beating two men before Mellor foiled the same player with a fine save. Rickie Hayles then headed Joey May’s corner just past the upright. With City struggling to keep their hosts at bay, the opening goal arrived when Michael Spencer sent Smith away and he centred for Tuohy to guide the ball home. City’s equaliser four minutes later owed everything to a defensive error. Adam Connolly was halted by Chris Bourne’s tackle on the right and Frankie Curley and Woolley got in each other’s way from the resulting corner. Woolley dropped the ball and it was forced over the line by the predatory Griffin. The visitors’ joy was shortlived, however, as goalscorer Tuohy returned the favour for Smith, who netted the winner with a well-placed header. City return to action with a home game against Chelmsford City on Saturday (3pm) – the first of three matches on the bounce at Mayday Trust Park.