Blue Square Bet South
Saturday 30 March 2013 - York Road - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 320

team: Mellor, Simpson, Brown (c), Ball, Preece, Burnell, Keats, Connolly, Chamberlain (Griffin 89), Allen (Jones 83), Low (Morgan 86). subs not used: Lennox, Canham.
man of the match: Elliott Chamberlain
scorers: Chamberlain (52)
bookings: Brown (40), Allen (78), Mellor (81)
officials: J O'Brien (London)

league position: 10th form: LLDWDW next match: Salisbury City (H)

Report taken from

Elliott Chamberlain scored in his final match this season for Bath City to give them a narrow victory at Maidenhead United. City rode their luck at times to survive several nervous moments in their own penalty area but Chamberlain's second-half strike proved the difference.

Playing on a bobbly pitch in cold and windy conditions, the match produced few moments of quality football and most of the chances in the first half came from long range. The visitors were first to threaten after 12 minutes when Noah Keats sent a 20-yard shot just wide, while Maidenhead also sent a couple of long-range efforts well off target before City went close again when Adam Connolly's low shot was pushed wide by goalkeeper Billy Lunley. The home side came more into the game and City custodian Jason Mellor had to be out quickly to deny David Pratt. Moments later Joe Tabiri's cross found Richard Pacquette unmarked but he headed wide. Harry Pritchard had a shot deflected into the hands of Mellor but this produced a chance for City on the break. Chris Allen's excellent pass released Chamberlain but his shot came back off the post. Maidenhead finished the half strongly as City left-back Aaron Brown looked out of sorts. Pratt and Pritchard fired over, before Pratt missed the target again with only Mellor to beat. Mark Preece blocked a goalbound Pritchard effort and Brown was booked for a challenge on Pratt just outside the areas bu Pacquette's free-kick went over the top.

The hosts nearly went ahead six minutes into the second half but Mellor saved well from Pacquette, who also had a shot deflected over. City broke from a corner shortly afterwards and the ball fell kindly to Josh Low, whose low shot could only be parried by Lunley, allowing Chamberlain - who has decided to return to parent club Exeter for the rest of the season - to pounce and tap home. However, despite still threatening occasionally, City were unable to take control of the match and Maidenhead had good chances to level the scores. Rhys Paul found himself unmarked on the end of a Michael Pook free-kick but headed wide and Joe Tabiri also missed the target with a header from a corner, although Mellor was adamant that he had been fouled and received a yellow card for his protests. Pratt could have equalised five minutes from time when he turned and shot from inside the box but Mellor deflected his effort wide. In the end, City survived to secure a scrappy victory but a vital three points, which ease any lingering relegation fears.