Blue Square Bet South
Monday 1 April 2013 - Mayday Trust Park - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: D0-0 attendance: 731

team: Mellor, Simpson, Jones, Preece, Ball, Brown (c), Connolly, Burnell, Low (Morgan 88), Keats (Allen 90), Griffin (Lennox 88). subs not used: Rollo, Canham.
man of the match: Josh Low
scorers: none
bookings: none
officials: A Hopkins, D Goard, R Dabbs

league position: 12th form: LDWDWd next match: Chelmsford City (A)

Report taken from

Bath City stretched their unbeaten run in Blue Square South to a fifth match when they held second-placed Salisbury City to a goalless draw at Mayday Trust Park. Few chances were created in a scrappy encounter but home boss Lee Howells will be pleased with how his side performed against opponents who still have an outside chance of winning the title. Charlie Griffin went close to a second-half winner for the home side but his powerful header from Joe Burnell’s cross came back off the bar with visiting keeper Will Puddy beaten.

City survived an early scare when Danny Ball sliced Daniel Fitchett’s driven low strike over his own crossbar but, once they settled, the hosts began to play some attractive football. Josh Low looked dangerous on either flank but his teasing crosses were just out of the reach of Griffin, who also headed Aaron Brown’s crossfield ball into the path of Noah Keats but he was squeezed out by two visiting defenders. Salisbury’s Stuart Sinclair curled an effort high and wide from the edge of the Bath box, while Griffin could not keep a similar effort down after collecting a loose ball at the other end and attempting to chip keeper Puddy. Home stopper Jason Mellor got down well to block Charles Ademeno’s effort with his body after the Salisbury frontman found himself free in the Bath box but a raised offside flag meant the strike would not have counted anyway as the interval arrived goalless.

Again an offside flag denied the visitors at the start of the second half when substitute Rob Sinclair turned the ball into the Bath net from close range, and Chris McPhee sent a looping header inches wide soon afterwards. Salisbury were now on top of proceedings and the home side had Mellor to thank for keeping them level, with the City stopper pulling off a fine save when McPhee again got his head to dangerous cross into the box. It took 30 minutes of the second half for Bath to re-find their feet but when they did they missed the best chance to break the deadlock. Low sent Burnell free down the right and the midfielder floated a cross to the back post where Griffin outjumped Brian Dutton and, although his header beat Puddy, he was denied by the woodwork. Still the danger was not cleared, though, and Low pounced on the ball to skip into the Salisbury box but he tried to beat one man too many when perhaps a better option was to feed a pass into the feet of the lurking Griffin. Neither keeper was troubled again as the game entered its final stages, with Bath by far the happier with the draw as the final whistle sounded.