Blue Square Bet South
Saturday 6 April 2013 - Melbourne Stadium - kick off 3.00pm
half-time: 0-0 result: W1-0 attendance: 656

team: Mellor, Simpson, Brown, Jones, Ball, Burnell, Keats, Connolly, Allen, Griffin (Charles 75), Low (Canham 83). subs not used: Morgan, Lennox, Rollo.
man of the match: Dan Ball
scorers: Griffin (49)
bookings: Charles (88)
officials: A Degnarian, P Yates, A Waters

league position: 12th form: DWDWdW next match: Paulton Rovers (A)

Report taken from

Charlie Griffin headed home a 49th-minute cross from the excellent Josh Low as Bath City stunned play-off chasing Chelmsford City and extended their unbeaten run to six games. The visitors were good value for their third successive win at Melbourne Road - following on from 2010's famous play-off semi-final triumph and last season's FA Trophy victory - but had to survive a first-half scare when Jamie Slabber's header was adjudged not to have crossed the line after hitting the underside of the bar. City made one enforced change to the XI that started the goalless draw against Salisbury City, with midfielder Chris Allen coming in for ill defender Mark Preece. However, the visitors still stuck with the 5-3-2 formation they had employed on Easter Monday, with Joe Burnell lining up alongside Dan Ball and Gethin Jones in the heart of the back line.

That allowed Aaron Brown and Sekani Simpson to push forward well from the full-back positions, with the latter putting in a good cross which Griffin headed over from ten yards. Chelmsford then threatened twice at the other end in quick succession but Jason Mellor thwarted them both times, diving to his left to keep out Anthony Cook's low drive before getting just enough on Slabber's close-range header to deflect it behind. The subsequent corner came to nothing but the next set-piece almost led to the opening goal, with a City free-kick being drifted into the box by Brown. Jones made a good contact on the header but it dropped just past the far post with Chelmsford keeper Stuart Searle stranded. Chances continued to come during an entertaining opening with home winger Omer Riza getting behind the City defence but, rather than run on, he tried a first-time lob which drifted wide. Chelmsford went closer still on the half-hour mark when Cook whipped in a wonderful cross from the right which Slabber headed goalwards from six yards. His effort struck the underside of the bar, however, and bounced on the line before spinning back into the grateful hands of keeper Mellor. City were playing their part in an entertaining half, though, and Low saw an ambitious angled half-volley drop just wide while Noah Keats tested keeper Searle with a well-struck dipping effort from the edge of the area.

And it was the visitors who eventually broke the deadlock four minutes into the second half. Simpson's throw caught the Chelmsford defence napping and Low was able to take a couple of touches before putting in a great cross which Griffin expertly headed home at the back post. The goal stunned the hosts and City looked the better team for the rest of the half, with Keats almost surprising Searle with a near-post shot which the keeper somehow fumbled to safety. Chelmsford made their first change just after the hour mark, with Rob Edmans coming on for Slabber, and then sent on Michael Bakere for the ineffective Riza six minutes later in a bid to get back into the game. Ryan Charles was introduced as City's first replacement came with 15 minutes to go, as goalscorer Griffin was given a well-earned rest after putting in a great shift up front. Time and inspiration was running out for the hosts, who made their final change with 11 minutes to go as Kyle Vassell came on for Max Cornhill. But the expected Chelmsford onslaught never materialised and City - who replaced the excellent Low with Marc Canham in the 83rd minute - comfortably saw out the game to record an excellent away victory.