Skrill South
Saturday 19 October 2013 - Enclosed Ground - kick off ?pm
half-time: 0-2 result: D2-2 attendance: 261

team: Mellor, Simpson, Ball, Gallinagh (c), Preece, Burnell, Stearn (Bowman 90), Keats, Pratt (Watkins 70), Allen (Gibbons 87), Low. subs not used: Legge, Rollo.
man of the match: Mark Preece
scorers: Low (53), Allen (pen 65)
bookings: Stearn (72), Allen (75), Low (90)
officials: D Woolford, K Bailey, E Moore

league position: 18th form: LLWLWD next match: Salisbury City (FAC) (H)

Report taken from

Bath City fought back from 2-0 down at the break to earn a point at newly-promoted Whitehawk and arrest a three-match losing run in Skrill South. Josh Low’s goal and a penalty from Chris Allen wiped out the deficit for the visitors, who fielded a depleted side in the absence of injured pair Adam Connolly and Ben Adelsbury and the suspended Aaron Brown.

City got off to the worst possible start at Whitehawk’s quaint, if unconventional, Enclosed Ground in east Brighton, falling behind in the third minute. Tommy Fraser had far too much time to choose his options in the centre of the pitch, eventually electing to stroke the ball out to an unmarked Michael Boateng on the right. Boeteng’s cross into the box found Jake Robinson, who volleyed home from 15 yards. Nestling into the folds of the Sussex Downs, Whitehawk’s pitch is in fine condition but has a significant slope. The home side exploited it well in the first half, with Boeteng testing Dan Ball in his less familiar left-back role. Former Team Bath player Sami El-Abd crossed from the left for Robinson to put a header wide on 20 minutes but City gradually came back into the contest and had a good spell of pressure just before the half-hour mark. Two corners in quick succession saw Josh Low’s goalbound strike hit his own team-mate in Joe Burnell. Next, Dave Pratt got in on the action with a shot on the turn that ricocheted off two defenders before being cleared by Whitehawk keeper Chris Winterton. Just as an equaliser looked on the cards, the Hawks scored again. There appeared to be little danger as Sam Gargan cut in from the right but his sweetly-struck shot went through the legs of Andy Gallinagh, leaving Jason Mellor unsighted and the home team firmly in control at the interval.

Despite their strong vocal support, there would have been little to encourage the travelling fans that a turnaround was likely, yet that was just what happened. Low looked re-invigorated from the restart and the midfield was far more incisive as City came down the slope with considerably greater purpose. Eight minutes after the break, Low galloped down the left and although his cross was checked by the defence, the ball found its way back to Noah Keats. His effort from the edge of the 18-yard box then flicked off Low and, with both players claiming the goal, it was the latter who obtained the official verdict. As the game opened up, the home side were far from done. Just minutes after City’s goal Tommy Fraser was only inches away from sliding in on a Gargan cross before Danny Mills saw his shot from the edge of the area blocked by Gallinagh. However, City drew level in the 65th minute after Sekani Simpson’s run into the area was ended when he was clipped from behind by Robinson. Referee David Woolford made the simple decision of pointing to the spot and Allen fired his penalty powerfully into the roof of the net. City survived one further scare when El-Abd had a header tipped over the bar by Mellor but that apart it was the visitors who finished the stronger of the two sides and deservedly travelled back home with a point. Read more:!#ixzz2iCmrs06J