Skrill South
Tuesday 29 October 2013 - Cherrywood Road - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-1 result: W4-2 attendance: 352

team: Mellor, Bowman, Ball, Simpson, Preece (Allen 65), Gallinagh (c), Stearn (Burnell 86), Adelsbury (Connolly 79), Pratt, Watkins, Keats. subs not used: Rollo.
man of the match: Dan Bowman
scorers: Stearn (34), Ball (60), Keats (77), Pratt (90+4)
bookings: Adelsbury (30)
officials: A Laver, D Berry, M Desborough

league position: 14th form: WLWDLW next match: Havant (H)

Report taken from

A roller-coaster game in which they took the lead, then fell behind ended with Bath City recording their first Skrill South league win since August 31. Ross Stearn's opener was cancelled out just before half-time by Elvis Hammond, then Scott Donnelly put Farnborough ahead early in the second period. But Dan Ball levelled just after the hour mark and Noah Keats restored City's lead with 11 minutes to go before Dave Pratt's injury-time strike made sure of the points. It was the perfect response to Saturday's FA Cup defeat to Salisbury City and was described by director of football Adie Britton as "the best City had played this season".

Yet in the early stages of this match it was Farnborough who looked the most likely to score, with the lively and experienced Hammond causing City a number of problems. The visitors did their best to counter this by placing Sekani Simpson at the heart of the defence, using his pace to block the threat that Hammond posed. However, Hammond was able to work space in the sixth minute and square the ball to Daniel Bennett, who inexplicably skied his shot when only six yards from goal. Instead it was City who broke the deadlock just after half-hour. Andy Watkins used his pace to run at the Farnborough defence and won a free-kick some 22 yards out, which Stearn drove low and wide of keeper Kevin Scrivens. From then on the visitors looked dominant, with Ben Adelsbury having a shot tipped over the bar after good work by Watkins and Stearn. But, against the run of play, Farnborough managed to conjure a goal out of nothing. A long clearance over the top saw Hammond and Simpson racing alongside each other. At the crucial moment the City defender slipped, leaving the ex-Bristol Rovers man clear on goal and with a simple finish past Jason Mellor.

The hosts again looked the livelier of the teams at the start of the second half and should have gone in front within a minute of the restart, only for Phil Page to repeat Bennett's first-half trick and fire over the bar, the fence and the trees behind the goal when it looked impossible not to score. However, their disappointment was short-lived as, just three minutes later, Hammond flicked the ball onto Scott Donnelly, who had an easy shot to put Farnborough in front. City were anything but down and out. With just over an hour gone, a move which started with league debutant Dan Bowman down the right saw a cross flicked on by Watkins to Ball, who fired home from ten yards. Eleven minutes before the final whistle, City repeated a virtually identical move, only this time it was Keats racing into the box to fire home. Having gone ahead for the second time in the match it might have been expected that the visitors would shut up shop. However, Pratt had other ideas. Despite the City bench screaming "take it to the corner flag" as he collected a long downfield pass, the striker cut inside to go past a static defence before firing into the bottom left-hand corner of the net to put a City victory beyond dispute. In the end this was a fine all-round performance by a vibrant City side, with Bowman shining down the right and Watkins restoring the pace and verve to attack that have been missing in recent weeks.