Skrill South
Tuesday 21 January 2014 - Longmead Stadium - kick off 7.45pm
half-time: 1-1 result: D1-1 attendance: 298

team: Mellor, Simpson, Brown, Gallinagh (c), Preece, Adelsbury, Stearn (Bowman 74), Connolly, Pratt (Allen 67), Watkins, Keats (Low 67). subs not used: Burnell, Rollo.
man of the match: Andy Gallinagh
scorers: Own Goal (19)
bookings: Brown (12), Pratt (55)
officials: C Fitch, S Scott, D Sheldrake

league position: 8th form: WLDdLD next match: Eastbourne Bor (A)

Report taken from

Bath City are still waiting for their first win of 2014 after being held to a draw by struggling hosts Tonbridge Angels on their long midweek trip to Kent. The result means City, who missed out on the chance to return to the play-off zone, are rapidly becoming the draw specialists of Skrill South and have now failed to pick up maximum points in their last five matches.

Tonbridge had the best of the opening exchanges and nearly went ahead inside the opening minute when Jason Mellor raced off his line for a ball, got nowhere near it and Gavin McCallum was only denied by a crucial saving tackle from Sekani Simpson. However, the Angels did not have long to wait before they went in front as, so often this season, City conceded from a set-piece. Defender Aaron Brown conceded a free-kick 25 yards from goal in the 11th minute and the visitorsí three-man wall was powerless to stop Lee Browning putting in a piledriver of a shot which sailed into the back of Jason Mellorís net. Just eight minutes later City were fortunate to get back on level terms. A corner taken by Brown was flicked on by Andy Gallinagh and Tonbridge midfielder Henry Muggeridge, attempting to put the ball wide, instead placed it into his own net off the post. From then on the game settled into something of a midfield stalemate until seven minutes before the interval, when Tonbridge won a succession of corners. The first was headed behind by the City defence but Mellor came for the second and could only deflect the ball to Mikel Suarez, whose tame shot was cleared off the line by midfielder Adam Connolly. If Connolly made a crucial intervention at one end he then managed to disappoint at the other, missing two good opportunities on the stroke of half-time. One sailed high and wide of the home sideís crossbar and the second was a low, drilled shot that was also off target.

Tonbridge might have felt they were unlucky to be level at half-time but could have few complaints at the end of the 90 minutes. Yet City, who were dominant for long spells, failed to force keeper Lewis Carey into a serious save. The main catalyst for Cityís attacks, and the culprit for their misses, was Andy Watkins. Three times the diminutive forward went close. His first attempt ended when the Angels captain Jon Heath put in a fine tackle, his second from a Brown corner flicked on by Ben Adelsbury, saw the ball go wide. Finally, with 15 minutes to go, Watkins raced in from the right to put in a good shot, only to see it blocked by Gary Elphick. It was not the best of nights for Dave Pratt either. Booked for a dive just after half-time, he had earlier failed to connect with a good cross from Brown and then put a header just wide from a free-kick before being replaced by for Josh Low. In the closing stages City also threw on Chris Allen for a tired-looking Noah Keats and Dan Bowman for Ross Stearn but it did little to change the course of the match. Bowman did have one a late shot which was fairly easily saved by keeper Carey but the visitors failed to make the breakthrough they so desperately sought.